Ask  PvP  Plot They Came From the Cold

Discussion in 'Outer Rim Territories' started by Greybok, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Greybok

Greybok Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Supreme Allied Commander
    OCC Account:
    Malon
    Character Profile:
    Link

[​IMG]

The winds on Hoth were rising and Greybok was freezing his ass off. He had his armor and generous amounts of fur to protect him from the cold, and his goggles were down over his eyes to protect them from the flurries of snow blowing across the tundra, but the cold of Hoth bled through it all and he was shivering as a result. To make matters worse, Twobee's head was completely metal and felt like a solid block of ice from her position on his back.

The giant Wookiee was hunched over behind a snowdrift that was almost his height; his head poked just lightly over the crest of the drift, where he was allowing the HUD of his goggles to do the work for him. The goggles told him everything: atmospheric readings, conditions, the direction he was facing, and he could even magnify and zoom in on his target—a Czerka listening outpost just over the ridge. But his focus was, as usual, broken by chattering from behind him.

"I hate Hoth," Twobee complained. Grey rolled his eyes. "You know who lives on Hoth? The godamnmed Talz. Big snow-Wookiees that are only marginally uglier than you are, Greybok. I would say they're dumber too, but you take the cake where low intelligence is concerned." Grey tried to ignore her; he tried to focus on scouting the listening post's perimeter, but she just wouldn't shut up. "I'm cold too. I think I feel my servomotors freezing."

That was about all the Wookiee could take. Grey snarled angrily in his native tongue at the droid's head who didn't miss a beat in turn. "Yes, droids can get cold, meat-for-brains. And when my vocabulator freezes over, you're going to be stuck grunting your way out of an inevitably bad situation!" The droid made a mechanical "hmph," them added, "If you're going to keel over and die, at least do it somewhere where I can enjoy the process."

Greybok made a series of sarcastic hoots in retort, but Twobee only snorted in response. "Oh, yes, I forgot you brought a partner with you. If you think she can translate any better for you, be my damn guest." The droid head swiveled as she surveyed her surroundings with her limited scope-of-vision. "Where is she, anyways?" @Deviant

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2018
    Deviant likes this.
  2. Leah Reach

Leah Reach Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Jedi Master
    OCC Account:
    Deviant
    Character Profile:
    Link

She’s right here.

Jedi Master Leah Reach emerged out of the haze of the snow right behind Greybok and his particularly talkative droid. Today, however, she was not a Jedi Master, but an antsy or nasty pirate looking for something to pillage. Dressed in borrowed rebel trooper armor, along with a fur coat draped over it, the older woman was fit for any excursion. But Hoth was another case. Its cold winds already pierced through her coat and chilled her armor, not enough to break her concentration in any way, but enough to be annoying. Slung over her back, she carried a blaster rifle and at her waist was attached an exclusive pistol in place of her usual handgun.

Last but not least, she kept her lightsaber tucked beneath her outfit, though still close in reach should unexpected circumstances arise. However, as a disciplined Jedi Master, she was ready for the unpredictable. Even though there was absolutely no reason for the Empire to be so far from their borders, no less at an outpost that was neither their own nor an allies, Leah was confident she would not have to turn to the blade’s use. Of course, one could never be too sure. And on the safe side, she kept her comlink and rebel frequencies open should she and her new… colleague …be overrun. Call her over prepared, but she didn’t care.

Under the thick veil of the snow and behind a snow drift, there was neither any way she or the Wookie might be spotted, behind or ahead. It was in good fortune that Greybok possessed magnified goggles to point her the way to the Czerka listening post. Given the ongoing blizzard, its outside parameters were hardly guarded at all. Perfect timing on their part. Then again, Leah couldn’t say she was enjoying the bleak weather. Like the droid, she was already inclined to start the clandestine mission. “Okay, so where do we start?” Beneath her gloves, she cracked her knuckles and smiled.

@Malon

Malon likes this.
  3. Greybok

Greybok Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Supreme Allied Commander
    OCC Account:
    Malon
    Character Profile:
    Link

Greybok grunted something in his language. "He says we—" He took out his bowcaster. "GREYBOK, NO!" Well, the two guards outside certainly heard that and whirled around in time to duck two shots from Greybok's bowcaster, which seared through the snow at their feet.

Greybok howled angrily and switched off Twobee's vocabulator to prevent repeat incidents. Of course, that also meant that, unless Leah knew a bit of Wookiee, she wouldn't be understanding him until the droid's head was back online. In the meantime, the two guards outside returned fire. Fortunately, Greybok found himself already behind a sizable snowdrift and so the shots did nothing to him. But now they were in a fire fight.

The Wookiee smuggler chanced it by barking in his native tongue towards Leah. He was trying to convey that they needed to take out the guards fast before they could call for backup. Then he began the process of reloading his bowcaster. This was going to be a long day. @Deviant

OOC - no one joined in 48 hours so we have started dice rolling. If no one joins after this round, Open/PvP will close.

Deviant likes this.
  4. Leah Reach

Leah Reach Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Jedi Master
    OCC Account:
    Deviant
    Character Profile:
    Link

One second, Leah was staring at two aimless silhouettes in the snow. Next second, she was hearing Greybok growl, his droid wail, and the pair of sentries scrambling at the sound. Caught completely unprepared and without her blaster already in her hands, she watched the other rebel fire his bowcaster into empty air. She groaned, much like a mother would at her child, and fumbled to seize her blaster from its holster. While small and with a terrible range, the Jedi Master in disguise felt confident in her abilities. Better than the Wookiee, that was sure. And while she was partially successful as she fired several shots, her luck was no better.

One Czerka mercenary dropped into the snow, killed the instant her first blaster bolt slammed into his head. As for the other armored man, he effortlessly dodged the bolts that came after and fired a few of his own right back at her. The return fire smacked into her cover, absolutely harmless, but that was not the point of the shots. Instead, the sentry opted to notify several other guards inside the main compound. And by several, it was actually a solid eighteen. While the other thirty were either fast asleep or too busy doing anything but their job, the rest were quick to ready themselves for the outside firefight. Already, Leah’s gut feeling was sinking past her stomach and into her stiff legs.

You have got to be kidding me.” She hissed, having noticed the mercenary call out on the radio. While the guards inside wouldn’t pour out just yet, especially in weather conditions such as that, the fact that a surprise attack was no longer viable was rather upsetting for the Jedi Master. Enough that she was tempted to call in rebel reinforcements with the click of her com link. Enough to bump Greybok’s arm, although gently so as not to anger the poor rebel. “What the heck, Greybok? I thought we had everything under control. This was supposed to be discreet.” She made sure to emphasize, as if she was spelling it out, the last word. “D-i-s-c-r-e-e-t.

@Malon

Malon likes this.
  5. Greybok

Greybok Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Supreme Allied Commander
    OCC Account:
    Malon
    Character Profile:
    Link

Greybok howled unintelligibly but, without Twobee, it was impossible to tell what exactly he was saying. In the meantime, the giant Wookiee shot at the entrance to the listening post with his bowcaster. The blast hit a sweet spot in the snow and, shortly, the entire cave entrance collapsed on the unfortunate men who were getting ready to flood out of it, no doubt killing some of them and trapping the rest. Content with himself, Greybok reached down and switched Twobee's vocabulator back on.

"Thank the maker..." the droid groaned. "Do you see how I suffer now?" She asked of Leah. "This big walking carpet will be the death of us both at this rate." Greybok ignored her and ran up to where the cave had collapsed. Nearby the entrance, there was a port for an astromech droid. Greybok extended the computer spike hidden under his left wrist into it and howled at Twobee to get to work. "Calm down, Greybok, I'm on it."

It only took the droid a minute to provide results. "For a Czerka listening post, they have remarkably poor security. They're dark now, and it doesn't appear they got any transmissions off world before I took them offline." Greybok leaned over his shoulder and barked towards Leah. Twobee translated, raising her voice so that it carried over the wind and the snow. "He says it should be easy to take the post now! They are cut off from the outside world and they're down about two dozen men between the dead and wounded!"

Fortunately, Leah had called in reinforcements. It wouldn't be long now and this little mess would be mopped up without any need for "discretion."

OOC - closing this since it's been over 72 hours and dice-rolling has begun. @Deviant

Deviant likes this.
  6. Leah Reach

Leah Reach Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Jedi Master
    OCC Account:
    Deviant
    Character Profile:
    Link

As long as I’m still breathing, no he won’t.” She said to the droid’s earlier remark, disappointed with Greybok’s initial attack but ultimately satisfied to see his next one land true. The cave entrance into the listening post had collapsed onto the armored men prepared to swarm them, saving them from a lengthy outdoor firefight and perhaps certain death. While the Wookiee may have been more aggressive than she would have liked, that aggression also paid off. Clearing out the outpost would have ended up the same way: the pair against everyone else inside. Leah was glad to note that he was able to even the playing field by taking out two dozen men. A much needed miracle after such a mediocre start.

Alright, if they’re down half their men and cut from any chance of reinforcements, then what are we waiting for?” She brandished her blaster and moved against the door. “Let’s get to it.” Rising up against the snowy ground and away from the computer port, she skipped to the main entryway. Light as a feather and her footing well balanced, she meticulously walked over the mound of snow now piled in front of the entrance without leaving a step too deep. The Jedi doubted the Wookiee would fare the same, although that wasn’t her problem. Because when she reached the door, having expected the droid to unlock it through the port, Leah readied her blaster.

With a twirl, she kicked the door right open to reveal— absolutely nothing. Half-expecting there to be another dozen armored men waiting, the Jedi was pleasantly surprised to find nobody. Had most of the alerted guards already been buried under the snow? Or was security truly that bad? Either way, she shrugged, content with her circumstances, and motioned Greybok inside. It seemed the next phase of their operation was going off without a hitch. For now.

@Malon

Malon likes this.
  7. Greybok

Greybok Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Supreme Allied Commander
    OCC Account:
    Malon
    Character Profile:
    Link

"Is everyone on this operation suicidal?" Twobee lamented as Leah led them into the depths of the silent listening post. Greybok howled a few thoughts which Twobee, sighing to herself, translated for the other rebel's benefit. "He suggests planting charges near this base's power generator. Detonated from a distance, it'd ensure the entire place goes up in smoke."

What Twobee didn't translate is that it would also kill the remaining thirty-five Czerka employees still inside. But Greybok didn't think like a Jedi. This was war. Lives were lost. And it was more important to defeat the Empire by any means than to allow slavery to continue across the galaxy over some misplaced sense of honor or the sanctity of life.

But Leah wasn't given much time to respond. Their silence was broken by the arrival of fifteen Czerka security officers. One fired at Greybok, who ducked the shot, which only singed his fur. Angered, the bipedal canine fired seven times and each shot hit its mark. With a single roar, Greybok sent the other scattering back to where they came, then motioned for Leah to duck into an adjacent room with him.

"They will be back soon," Twobee informed them. "That's the bad news. The good news is—" Greybok hit the light switch. Jackpot. "—we seem to have found the generator room. So? Do we blow this place sky-high, or leave it intact? I should warn you both: we're horribly outnumbered." @Deviant

Deviant likes this.
  8. Leah Reach

Leah Reach Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Jedi Master
    OCC Account:
    Deviant
    Character Profile:
    Link

Leah paused, unsure of what to do. As a Jedi Master, she wanted to give the Czerka guards and officials a chance to escape the facility before certain death. Mercy was another important trait for all Jedi. But as a rebel? The odds were still stacked against them. Warning the outpost security about the impending bomb and explosion might only reveal their location or inflame a new attack only moments after Greybok scared away the first. Ultimately, it was a risk she wasn’t willing to take. Yet the further she thought over it, the more indecisive she grew. The woman was conflicted. It wasn’t until, on the spur of the moment, she plucked the charges off of Greybok and began to arm it around the generator.

She was quick, desperate to finish the job before anyone stormed in with blasters blazing. But by good fortune, nobody arrived. Through luck or because of the Wookiee’s earlier, successful attacks, she couldn’t say. She could only be relieved that their mission so far had gone on without a hitch, save for the hiccup at the start. And with the charges placed without a single interruption, Leah made sure to arm them all. “Alright, let’s ditch this popsicle stand. Rebel forces are already en route. Let’s give them a show.” Rising back up to her full height and the bomb timers already ticking, she drifted back out to the room’s exit.

As Greybok slipped into the hall, however, Leah paused. Her thoughts finally caught up to her, and she groaned. “Goddammit.” With a step back, she went to an intercom attached to the wall. By a click and clearing of her throat, she resounded into the pager. “Friends and foes— mostly foes— you have less than minute to evacuate before this facility is blown to hell. Thank you, and have a good day.” She smashed into the intercom, her bizarre farewell finished, and rushed out of the room. Even if Czerka guards were able to pinpoint the charges to the generator, there was no way or time they could disarm it. The explosion was inevitable, but not their deaths.

I hope I don’t regret this.” She hissed, catching up to the Wookiee and to the exit down the hall. Behind her, footsteps resounded and alarms cried out. It would be any second now.

@Malon

Malon likes this.
  9. Greybok

Greybok Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Supreme Allied Commander
    OCC Account:
    Malon
    Character Profile:
    Link

Greybok hit the detonator as he exited the listening post right behind Leah. The explosions began almost immediately, sending smoke, flames, snow, and ice plumes into the air. A few moments later, however, the explosions stopped, bringing the Wookiee to a screeching halt. Confused, Greybok turned back towards the listening posts and then looked down at his detonator. Howling angrily, he began to ruthlessly beat the detonator until the explosions resumed, at which point, he resumed running.

Shortly thereafter, the listening post began to sink into the snow and ice until it sank completely out of sight, burying any potential witnesses forevermore. "Well, look at the bright side," Twobee said as they fled across the ice sheet. "There won't be any witnesses to our sabotage." Greybok barked and howled something in reply. "I quite agree, Greybok. Why did she warn them? If you ask me, we did them a favor. Their current state is much preferable." Greybok hated Czerka because they were slavers. Twobee just hated them because they manufactured shitty droids.

When they finally reached the ship, the large Wookiee activated the loading ramp and motioned for Leah to board. Then he hooted something at Twobee. "Why, yes, I do believe she will file this in her report to the Commander. And, no, I don't believe Commander Ion will be pleased. You know how nauseously merciful he is, even to his enemies." Greybok howled and the two continued to bicker as they too mounted the loading ramp...

...and all was well... for now. @Deviant

10. Leah Reach

Leah Reach Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Jedi Master
    OCC Account:
    Deviant
    Character Profile:
    Link

Leah watched as the listening post and the survivors within slipped into oblivion, crushed or buried alive in an instant of Greybok’s early sabotage. Her warning had been for naught, and the Czerka officials or guards stationed within were gone. As much as a part of her was glad to see them gone, that none would witness who might have been responsible, the other piece of the Jedi Master was disturbed by their terrible end. An execution without trial. Sealed into an icy tomb because of simple fears, doubts and shallow judgement. Czerka was cruel, full of slavers and criminals, but as Leah always knew, darkness was not all there was. This war was more than black and white.

Uncertain of her feelings, she stopped. As Greybok and his droid urged the older woman to join them aboard the ship, she decided to wait beside the gaping sinkhole of where the outpost once stood. Raising a hand, she answered. “It’s alright. Alliance forces are on their way. I’ll stay and file our mission report. In the meantime, I’m sure you have other missions to attend to. This is your operation after all, Greybok.” She made no indication of her remorse, hidden deep under her pale features. Instead, her voice carried a small, newfound respect for the Wookiee and for his efforts. The Alliance was all the better for it. But were they any different from the enemies they fought?

She saluted the rebel one last time before he lifted up into the air, melting into the cold haze of the planet atmosphere. Quickly, she told herself that the Alliance could be nothing like the Sith or Czerka. They weren’t subjugators, scoundrels or slavers. They were the embodiment of hope and freedom in the galaxy, mercy or not. But Leah was conflicted, settled between justice and revenge, and waited for rebel ships to arrive. And when they did, their lights piercing through the snow and upon the secretive Alliance ambassador, she was busy overlooking the fruit of her destruction. Arms behind her back, head tilted down, she heard one rebel call out to her.

Ambassador Reach, we received your transmission.” The rebel glanced out to the abyss. “What happened here?” The Jedi Master sighed, ambivalent. “Another successful mission, Private.” She turned around. “Let’s get going, shall we?

End Thread.​

Malon likes this.