Ask Technicolor Beat: Art of Negotiation

Discussion in 'Deep Core and Core Worlds' started by Anthony Price, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Anthony Price

Anthony Price Character

Republic
    Level 2

Senior Senator of Corellia
    OCC Account:
    Fyremage
    Character Profile:
    Link
    @Aberforth @Great Jamie We can dice this thread Jaime. Feel free to use my dice roll thread.

Senators Anthony Price and Octadar Kithar descended upon the surface of Foerost, making haste to the planet's capital to speak with the planet's minister of commerce, Terrant Solari. If Anton were being honest with himself, he knew little about the man other than that he was one of the major players that could get mobilization moving. The Corellian Senator turned to his companion from Fondor. "I would recommend we proceed cautiously. We need to get a measure of the man before we get straight to business."

While he held respect for Senator Kithar, the representative of Fondor had demonstrated himself to be a bit brash and direct in his beliefs. Such traits had their place, but not during a meeting with an official who could very well stonewall the discussion. As the shuttle entered its final approach to the landing pad, Anthony gave the Octadar a firm nod. "It's a pleasure to be able to work with you, finally."

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 10:30 AM
  2. Octadar Kithar

Octadar Kithar Character

Republic
    Level 1

Junior Senator of Fondor
    OCC Account:
    Great Jamie
    Character Profile:
    Link
    "Foerost. A planet not full of forests surprisingly" Octadar joked inside his head as he sat with the Senator for Corellia. It had been a quick journey, with very little opportunity to look around. Though to be honest, he would rather be done with this place and return home. The importance of this mission was all too well known for Octadar. The shipyards were incredibly important to the Republic, and its ship building facilities would be needed for the Navy. He nodded in agreement with the Senator's note about using caution. Whatever his own opinions, the success of the mission would override everything. When Anthony told Octadar "It's a pleasure to be able to work with you, finally."
    He would respond "Yes, it is very good to finally work with you. You've appeared in quite a few places, and a prominent figure in the Senate, logical but understanding of what needs to be done. It will be a refreshing experience to work with you." As the shuttle came down.

Fyremage likes this.
  3. Anthony Price

Anthony Price Character

Republic
    Level 2

OCC Account:
    Fyremage
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Anthony smiled at Octadar's words and rose up from his seat after the shuttle touched down onto the landing pad. Within moments, the loading platform lowered and touched down on the durasteel paneling, with the Senator emerging with two guards following both him and Octadar. Anton didn't expect to encounter much by way of hostility or outright danger to both he and his fellow Senator's lives, but it never hurt to have a bit of insurance. Anton was also wearing his protective suit and carried his pistol beneath his jacket in a shoulder holster, more or less because ever since Alderaan - the Senator liked to know he was not completely defenseless on his own right.

As the entourage of four emerged from their craft and walked atop the landing platform, they were soon greeted by a human female dressed in a modest pant-suit. She bowed slightly out of respect to the two Senators and proceeded to lead them to a small caravan of armored speeders which would convey them to the capital building, wherein they would meet with Minister Solari. In short order, they would be delivered to the capital building without incident and led to the meeting room, where the Minister awaited them. Solari was a human male, wearing stately garb reiniscent of robes flowing over his form. Anton was the first to introduce himself, bowing respectfully to the minister as he said:
    "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintence minister Solari, and we are very much appreciative of your willingness to meet with us considering your busy schedule."

The Corellian Senator hoped that Octadar would follow his example and attempt to start their interaction on a pleasant note rather than getting straight down to business.

4. Octadar Kithar

Octadar Kithar Character

Republic
    Level 1

Junior Senator of Fondor
    OCC Account:
    Great Jamie
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Octadar would follow the Senator down onto the landing pad itself, where he saw 2 guards, presumably to... Guard him. ‘It is a very poor society which allows some of the most highest ranking representatives from other powers at risk in its own capital...” he thought. Better safe than sorry. They met a woman who did not interest Octadar at all, and were led to this armoured convoy of sorts. Hmm. ‘Security is definitely taken seriously here. I wonder whether they have any problems. Though it could just be a show of force.” As he stepped into a speeder. The journey was mercifully quick, and as they reached the capitol building, there was nothing of note to see. When they met the Minister, the Senator for Corellia spoke first. Probably the wisest option. Then it was his turn. Yay...

“A privilege to see you Minister.” He said, with a smile, nodding his head slightly. He wouldn’t go to the fullest extent of bowing as Anthony did, but... It was enough to please the Minister.

5. Anthony Price

Anthony Price Character

Republic
    Level 2

OCC Account:
    Fyremage
    Character Profile:
    Link
    By the look of things, it appeared that the two Senators had made a solid first impression. Although Octadar did not bow in unison with his counterpart as courtesy demanded, it seemed Minister Solari was either indifferent to the faux pas or was not going to allow it to hinder their discussions. The Minister of Commerce was slight of build, but not so thin as to appear weak or easily cowed. He bore a strength in his eyes, which was mirrored by his pleasant though not overly casual demeanor. After pulling up from his bow to Senator Price, he would address the pair in turn: "The pleasure is ours to entertain you fine representatives of the Senate. I trust you had an uneventful journey?"

He extended his hand further into the room to a small table lined with half a dozen empty seats. A pitcher of water sat upon its surface, along with three glasses arranged accordingly. A bowl of fruit was also present should the Senators wish to indulge, although Anton was of the mindset that this wasn't the time to partake in satiating his mild hunger. The opportunity for lunch would come soon enough, so he would content himself with water as he took a seat with the Minister's bidding, pouring himself a glass before he truly settled down. As he did so, he responded to the Solari with a friendly though similar not overly casual tone: "As uneventful as one can expect, thankfully. And your arrangements to convey us here were most appreciated."

A smile creased his lips, and he paused briefly as he took a sip of his water. The servants provided mint and lemon slices for the water, which added a refreshing aftertaste to it, tingling his lips. Thereafter, he cleared his throat and met the Minister's eyes. The Corellian wanted to get to business, and decided to try and nudge in that direction as seamlessly as possible. "I can't say I have ever visited Foerost, but I have heard of your planet's formidable reputation as a leader in ship manufacturing for the Republic Fleet. It's been far too long since your shipyards have been put to work to that end, and without being too forward - my collegue and I are eager to know how we can help you make that a reality once again." Anton's redirection was well thought out, but it was still a gamble - particularly after he had encouraged Octadar to hold back a bit so they could feel the minister out.

Yet, they had seemingly started off really well in their discourse, and he wanted to capitalize on that.

6. Octadar Kithar

Octadar Kithar Character

Republic
    Level 1

Junior Senator of Fondor
    OCC Account:
    Great Jamie
    Character Profile:
    Link
    So he had managed to ah ‘get away’ with not bowing probably. He would not bow done like some peasant to this man. The people of Fondor would be disgraced if he performed in such a manner. He didn’t make these thoughts known mind. As the formalities which bored him no end, but once again he kept these emotions in check, he sat down when offered. When he was offered fruit and water, he took a sip of water, infused with lemon. He did have to admit, Foerost did know how to do water well. He smiled, and let the Senator for Corellia speak most of the time. Soon however, business was beginning to be conducted, when Price began to nudge discussion that way. So, Octadar duly spoke
    “Indeed. This world has a reputation unknown only to those who live under the proverbial rock. Everyone knows of the facilities of Foerost and how it’s shipbuilding capabilities are almost unparalleled. The Republic most certainly would like to utilise these facilities, whilst also making sure the planet is well rewarded for its efforts.” He said, before picking up his cup of water and sipping it.

7. Anthony Price

Anthony Price Character

Republic
    Level 2

OCC Account:
    Fyremage
    Character Profile:
    Link
    It had seemed their efforts to transition smoothly worked, at least somewhat. The minister gave them a faint smile, yet one could discern that it was half-hearted. Surely their efforts wouldn't prove to be THAT easy. "Indeed, Foerost once was a major centerpiece in the manufacturing of the Republic fleet, and while myself and my government would be elated broker a deal to that effect again, I'm afraid it won't be so simple to make such a desire a reality." Anton arched his eyebrow ever so slightly at the cryptic nature of the Minister's words. Before the Corellian could speak so as to delve deeper on the subject, the minister had beaten him to it.

"You see, Foerost has fallen on hard times over the decades. When the senate had seen fit to disarm the Republic, our shipyards were left reeling from the result." While the tone of the conversation still carried a friendly nature, there was a noticeable chill in the minister's words. It was understandable, as both Anton and Octadar represented a body that had legislated the disarmament. A fatal mistake, at least in Anthony's eyes. Yet, he wasn't a member of the Senate at that time and was ill-prepared to interfere in the decision. The senator remained silent as he allowed the minister to continue - not wanting to interrupt. "Our planet soon came under the attention of criminal scum seeking to steal surplus weapons and ships. To combat this, our armed forces were dispatched to deal with the pirates in short order, but we also had to decommission several key shipyards and break down the ships they made into scrap. And to compound the issue, when warranty issues arose with what ships remained in service, i'm sure you can both imagine how much of a headache it was to meet their needs after disposing of trillions of credits worth of product."

Anton merely nodded his head empathetically as the minister concluded his monologue: "In the end, it sank our economy - throwing us massively in debt as the previous administration paid out massive relief stimulus packages to keep the companies that have been our lifeblood for years afloat. Many families have only now just began to recover. I'm sure you both can understand why the government of Foerost must approach reactivating our shipyards a bit more cautiously now than we did previously..."

Anton sat back in his chair. Honestly, this minister's retelling of Foerost's plight after the war resonted with his own people's struggle as well. While Corellia was pockmarked with the direct aftermath of war, with literal scars of death and distruction, Foerost seemed to carry the more insidious and passive effects of it. If he were in this minister's position, he too would likely be hesitant to make a deal in haste. The Corellian glanced over to Octadar before he directed his attention back to Minister Solari and replied: "Minister, let me begin by saying that - while I cannot speak for the senate at large, I believe I can speak for both myself and Senator Kithar by saying that disarming the Republic was a massive mistake on the Republic's part - both militarily and economically as you have so well illustrated. We are imbued with the authority of the Senate to do whatever we can to make this deal equitable for both sides."

He nodded over to Octadar, who would hopefully jump in with an idea he had to help address the minister's concerns. Anton had a few ideas, but he would rather not be the only one talking. It looked good if both he and Octadar were involved in this rather than just him. That way, the minister could be confident he was making a deal with the Republic, and not just the Senator of Corellia.

@Great Jamie

8. Octadar Kithar

Octadar Kithar Character

Republic
    Level 1

Junior Senator of Fondor
    OCC Account:
    Great Jamie
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Octadar sat stone faced as he listened to the story of Foerost’s decline. The folly of the Republic’s disarmament was all to present in the systems which relied on producing ships for the Republic Navy. Anger slowly built up inside him, listening to how Foerost’s reaction to the betrayal by the Republic was not in any way positive. Treachery...

“The Supreme Chancellor was a fool. That Valorum” he said with anger evident
    “Was a short sighted fool. She is now gone however, and now there is a new Supreme Chancellor, strong and willing to do whatever it takes to defend the Republic. Foerost will not suffer any more now.” Octadar would think for a second. How to deal with the situation. “If we were to offer protection temporarily say for... 9 months or a year so that you can build up your economy without the threat of pirates rampaging round, and if we were to offer a payment to help offset the majority of the debt, say for the relief funds you gave out. Whilst your shipyards can also begin building vessels for the Republic Navy, this will help balance out your economy.”
    This was a baseline. He didn’t know if it was a good one, but he would try.
    “How much money did you give out as part of the relief funds?”

9. Anthony Price

Anthony Price Character

Republic
    Level 2

OCC Account:
    Fyremage
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Anton grimaced slightly at Octadar mentioning the repayment of Foerost's stimulas payouts, at the very least so early in their discussion. Now it was undoubtedly on the table, removing a possible component in their negotiations. The Corellian also noticed the Minister smirk slightly, which confirmed to Anton that this wasn't a simple meeting. The game was being played, and right now the Minister had the advantage. Price couldn't fault Octadar for being so willing to try and give Foerost amenable terms, but he was going to anyway. While he refrained from exhibiting any further outward signs of his frustration, it was clear that he would need to do more of the talking. "Within reason of course." He interjected before the Minister could speak in turn. "While I echo Senator Kithar's stance that our hearts go out to you and your people... the Republic can only do so much as we attempt to rearm ourselves. Quite a few worlds were impacted by the disarmament, and i'm sure that you understand given your status as Minister of Commerce that if we open the Republic's coffers overmuch, we would soon deplete whatever funds needed to expand elsewhere."

While Anton's words were friendly and his tone kind, the Minister was a seasoned politician and could 'read between the lines' as well as any other statesman. Yet, he remained silent as Anton continued, refusing to skip a beat lest he be interrupted: "But, one measure I believe we can agree to, in order to offset the debt you've mentioned, is a more conciliatory percentage rate upon the markup at which the Republic purchases your ships? We would need to keep the details of the specifics sealed obviously so as to remain competitive with other shipyards, but I feel I can speak for the both of us by saying we would be willing to entertain that." Judging by the minister's body language, Anton had managed to avert catastrophe as the man glanced to the right in reflection, leaning back on his chair and placing a hand on his chin contemplatively.

The Corellian continued:
    "I'm no expert, but what was the going rate for governmental contracts back then? 5% on Cruisers, 6% on frigates and corvettes, and 7% on transports and smaller craft?" Yes, if your'e wondering, Anton looked up the figures prior to coming. It obviously impressed the minister as he offered yet another smile.

"Yes, that was the rate. What are you now proposing?" It had seemed they had arrived at a pivotal moment. Although it went against Anton's instincts, he looked toward his Fondorian counterpart again, giving him the opportunity to hopefully make up for his previous faux pas (in the plural sense). Openly, Anton had a reassuring smile on his face. Privately, he was praying that his companion didn't kriff this up.

@Great Jamie

10. Octadar Kithar

Octadar Kithar Character

Republic
    Level 1

Junior Senator of Fondor
    OCC Account:
    Great Jamie
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Octadar would play conservative for now. Perhaps giving the offer of a payment was rash. But they started talking about things he understood now, with percentages about ships. He was born in a ship building family, so he was used to do business. There would no doubt have to be an increase in percentage. So he would make a baseline offer.
    “Would an increase of... 1% for all ships satisfy your demands?”
    He hoped this would be successful. I mean, considering how relatively expensive ships were, this would be a lot of money anyways.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018 at 3:23 PM
  11. Anthony Price

Anthony Price Character

Republic
    Level 2

OCC Account:
    Fyremage
    Character Profile:
    Link
    I'm gonna be nicer to @Great Jamie since i've been messing with him a bit in this thread xD. The result will be a bit better than the 1 he rolled, but still not a success. Also, due to my roll, we can probably end the thread with your post bud.

Anthony subtly nodded his head in agreement with Octadar's proposal. While some may have thought the offer stingy, it was better to start low to set a baseline for further negotiation. The Minister, on the other hand, was not as understanding. His face hardened as he responded: "If you are simply going to waste my time, I believe we could have discussed this via a holo-conference. Foerost is not interested in marginal improvements to our previously disasterous relationship!" It was altogether clear that things weren't going so well. While Anton didn't fault Octadar for trying as he did, it was also apparent that the Minister's patience was waning. The Corellian was quick to jump in again.

"Is it really a waste of time? Rebuilding a frayed relationship was never going to happen within one conversation minister. A statesman such as yourself should know that all too well." Anton's words came out a lot firmer than he originally had intended, but it seemed that such decisiveness was required for now as it caused the minister to take pause. He wasn't about to stop there: "We want to make a deal that will help us but at the same time help you. So let us help you." Senator Price glanced back at Octadar, his expression indicating he was deep in thought rather than mad or annoyed by his companion.

He turned to face the minister again, noting that his body language seemed to soften a bit, and decided to add on to Octadar's offer.
    "What if we add two percent on top of cruisers and frigates, but increase smaller craft to ten percent? On top of that, I'll see if we can arrange to grant Foerost duty reductions for the materials you need to import for production." The minister had remained silent, and his lips pursed slightly as he allowed the Corellian Senator to speak. By the end however, it had seemed his expression had shifted entirely to that of contemplation. After a few moments, he turned and looked straight at Octadar:

"That deal would be acceptable... provided we can increase our warranty work to 25% margin." Whether or not the Minister felt that the Fondorian Senator was an easier mark than Anton was unclear, and honestly Anton didn't care. But he did take a brief moment to think about the implications of the Minister's request. He looked over at Octadar, mindful that the Minister was not looking at Anton particularly and gave the Fondorian a subtle nod in agreement. If he was ok with it, then the Corellian would be too.

12. Octadar Kithar

Octadar Kithar Character

Republic
    Level 1

Junior Senator of Fondor
    OCC Account:
    Great Jamie
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Sigh. This wasn’t Octadar’s day. Everything was going wrong. The Minister it seemed was infuriated at the reasonable deal of an extra 1%. Grand. Octadar however note Anton’s approval of the deal. And it probably would be the best course of action. Anymore negotiations would probably kill him. So he decided to nod and say
    “The deal is acceptable to us.”
    Octadar says.
    “This meeting has come to a fruitful conclusion” Octadar would say smiling, before saying.
    “I assure you Minister through this renewed deal with the Republic, Foerost will once again prosper.” Before giving it a moment to allow Anthony to say his final words

/end thread

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM