Ask Rock Within the Shadows

Discussion in 'Deep Core and Core Worlds' started by Vuthari, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vuthari

Vuthari Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Jedi Master
    OCC Account:
    Mithias
    Character Profile:
    Link

[​IMG]
    Vu’thari’s Apartment
    Corellia Sector
    Nar Shaddaa

It was the first night he did not have anything pressing. Since his trip to Rishi and the recovery of Jedi Master Eli Reach’s belongings, he only now was able to settle in and examine deeper the contents of the vault he extracted. Looking over at SAD1P, his astrogation droid, he called out, “Lock us down, SawDip…”

“BeeBopBeeBaaa.”

Looking over with a chuckle, he replied, ”Since when have you become so lazy? Just do it.”

The SAD-4A droid protested briefly, but then busily rolled around the room doing a variety of pre-trained items in order to “lock down” the room. First, the astrogation droid locked the door to the apartment and triggered the mechanism that brought a durasteel blind down over his apartment window. Following that, SawDip activated the apartment’s music apparatus, causing music to flood the area with smooth, classical sounds. When the droid was done, Vu’thari nodded and the droid returned to low power mode. He was meticulous about his interaction with the droid. While he was one of his “trusted friends”, if the droid ever fell into the wrong hands, he wanted them to get nothing…

Turning around, he squatted down and faced a nondescript, metal footlocker. Deftly, the twi’lek tapped in the keycode and a series of mechanisms from within could be heard retracting. Gently, he opened the lid and viewed what was within. If an average thief from Nar Shaddaa had opened this, he would have been sorely disappointed at all the old trinkets and datacrons. But perhaps curious about the datacrons because of their encryption level. Vu’thari was no stranger to datacrons—he worked on them for a living. The security on the trio of datacrons in the chest were extremely sophisticated. He was quite thankful he grabbed the datapad with all of the passcodes for the items. He knew it was going to take some time to get through all of this information, but his excitement level was high…almost giddy. This was his passion—knowledge of the Jedi and times past.

As he accessed the first holocron, he was puzzled. Punching in the correct sequence gave him access, but the only item on the holocron was a digital missive from Jedi Master Eli Reach. Vu’thari read the note multiple times and was curious why a message about the properties of rocks in the vacuum of space. He went on to say that he had always been fascinated by the resilience of rocky material and felt one with the Force when he was around these rocks. For many moments, the twi’lek sat there and read it over and over. Anyone who knew Jedi Master Eli Reach would know that this was not his style—he did not give dissertations on the properties of asteroids in a diary format. Eli hated diaries…

This time, Vu’thari read through the missive a bit closer. He did not care what the note said, but he was looking for clues, hidden messages, or some other pattern. For a few minutes he read it over and over, until he found a pattern in the words. The pattern had hidden within it a series of astrophysics equations within the verbiage. Vu’thari quickly punched in the equations and worked them out on his datapad. His training as an engineer on Ryloth helped him workout the results of the higher mathematics within an hour.

Staring down at the results, a grin formed on his face. Sitting back in his chair and peered up at the ceiling, he whispered, ”It’s a path…a set of coordinates that form a path…”

Wheeling over in his chair to this computer, he punched in coordinates that were in different places around the coordinates he was going to look up. However, that was as far as he was going to go over the holonet—the Empire was always watching. Even though they had over 85 billion souls to keep up with, the twi’lek did not take any chances. He worked the astrophysics equations on a spare datapad that he wiped out every time he did anything on it. Carefully, the twi’lek put all the equation results together and looked at his galaxy map on the wall…

This path…wow…it leads to a large asteroid, in the middle of an asteroid field in the Eclipse system. How can I not investigate this…

Carefully, he removed all queries, calculations, and correlations he solved from the data he gleaned from the holonet. Unless the most sophisticated monitoring package was specifically watching his every move, he knew he would be fine. As much as Imperial Hutta wished they could monitor 85 billion people on Nar Shaddaa, it was a task far too great, even for the Empire. Sitting back in his chair, Vu’thari rubbed his chin. He would need some others to go with him. Ayasha was a definite…perhaps even Prax. He was still raw, but skilled. It would be good for him.

Vu’thari picked up his comlink…

@Wolf
    @Critas

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Critas and Wolf like this.
  2. Ayasha Waya

Ayasha Waya Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Jedi Padawan
    OCC Account:
    Wolf
    Character Profile:
    Link
    “There are too many buttons...” Ayasha muttered to herself as she placed her hands upon her hips and stared at the stove with a puzzled look upon her face. Vu'thari had left a set of simple instructions nearby, but the young woman was determined to do this without help. After several painful minutes, she relented. With a sigh, she begrudgingly glanced over at the little drawing he had made and quickly remembered how to pre-heat the oven. “Cooking over a fire is far less complicated,” the woman told herself as she went over to the nearby refrigeration unit, opened its large door and peered inside.

Vu'thari had encouraged his padawan to create a list of her favorite foods so that he could stock his kitchen with things that would help her transition to her new life on Nar Shaddaa. “Are there hunting grounds nearby?” she had asked the twi'lek. He shot her a bemused smile and shook his head with a hearty laugh. “No. I will buy whatever you like, within reason,” he said before explaining that the moon above Nal Hutta was a sprawling, all encompassing cityscape and that her way of life was as foreign to its citizens as theirs was to her.

An incredulous look was now painted across the woman's face as she pulled a wrapped foam tray containing several nuna legs from one of the shelves. She absentmindedly shut the door to the refrigeration unit as she studied the strange package. A label containing an explanation in Basic as well as several other languages was affixed to the corner of the clear plastic covering. “It says that they're nuna legs...where did the skin go?” she questioned in a whisper while turning the package over in her hands. What the padawan did not understand was that food was processed in places that were more developed than her home planet.

Ayasha set the package on the counter and reached for a pan perfect for the dish she was planning to prepare. A barrage of spices from across the galaxy sat nearby on a new rack that Vu'thari had surprised her with. The Galtean native loved to cook, but she was unaccustomed to her ingredients being found in containers and packages. This, among a plethora of other things, was something she would have to adjust to. The woman prepared the meat with various spices and placed the pan inside of the oven and then stood there for several quiet moments. “How do I know when it's done?” she wondered aloud while crouching down to peer into the apparatus through a viewing window.

The padawan decided it would be best to keep checking the progress every few minutes as she was entirely unsure how to compare cooking over a fire with this process. Ayasha returned to full height from her crouched position in front of the stove and walked over to another pan she had prepared ahead of time. Inside was a small doughy ball no bigger than the palm of her hand. She fetched a glass from inside one of the cabinets and then stepped in front of the refrigeration unit. For several moments she stood there while studying a small cutout on one of the doors. There were two spouts, a small straw like spout and a wider, scoop shaped spout.

She held the glass under the smaller opening and ice cold water began to rapidly fill it. Ayasha walked back over to the small ball of dough inside the pan and tipped the glass so that just a few drops fell onto the sticky raw substance. The matter expanded rapidly until an entire loaf of bread appeared before the padawan's eyes. She had watched Vu'thari do this once, but it was still magic in her mind. She added the pan to the oven beside the nuna legs and hoped the meal would be as delicious as it looked. This form of cooking left Ayasha far out of her element, but it offered her a new bit of convenience that she was beginning to appreciate.

After checking the oven several times, it was clear that the meal was ready. Ayasha plated the food and admired her work for a long moment before collecting a few utensils and carrying everything out to Vu'thari. “I hope you're hungry...” she said with a smile as she approached, though internally she was hoping that the food wouldn't kill him. The woman handed the twi'lek a plate and utensils before sitting down with her own portion. Her eyes looked over the crispy nuna legs and the warm baked bread. If it tasted anything like the delicious smells that filled the room, she would be pleased. Ayasha closed her eyes and quietly prayed a blessing over her food. When she opened them, she could feel Vu'thari's gaze upon her. She had not considered his beliefs and now felt badly for both observing her own as well as not including him.

“I'm sorry...” she shook her head and apologized, which she found herself doing often. Her eyes shifted to the Jedi Master's plate and then back to his face and she smiled saying, “I really hope you like it...but if it's not good, please tell me.” As was custom in her culture, the woman served her male counterpart before serving herself and then sat and waited for him to begin eating first. It was an observation of respect and a habit that came as second nature to Ayasha. She sat silently and continued waiting with nervous anticipation woven into her smile.

@Mithias
    @Critas

3. Vuthari

Vuthari Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Jedi Master
    OCC Account:
    Mithias
    Character Profile:
    Link

[​IMG]
    Vu’thari’s Apartment
    Corellia Sector
    Nar Shaddaa

Later That Day...
    It was a tough day at the office. Vu’thari had to deal with a trio of hostile weequay who came to check on their speeder truck that the twi’lek was repairing. The electrical had gone on the fritz and now they wanted to pay less than what was contracted. Alas, the weak-minded were made to understand the contract should stand and they were on their way. Couple a few bad customers with torrential downpours, Vu’thari was ready for another assignment…

Vu’thari performed his usual routine when coming home from work—he did nothing usual…it was always different. Whether it was taking a long route, a short route, a circuitous route, doubling back, stopping at other places, or just going to another stop, the twi’lek always did something different. Routines were dangerous in Imperial Hutta…

When he finally got to his apartment, navigating multiple layers of security, the Jedi was met by the aroma of exotic foods. It brought a smile to his face—Ayasha had been busy. His padawan made it clear she wanted to cook and try some different things, so it seemed like success was at hand. Putting his toolbelt down, he looked over at Ayasha busy at work with the dishes she was preparing. He washed his hands and face in the fresher and then sat down.

“I hope you're hungry...”

After putting a steaming plate of hot food in front of the twi’lek, she scooted around and sat down across from him. Watching her, she closed her eyes and blessed her food.

“I'm sorry...”

Vu’thari smiled and shrugged, saying, “It doesn’t offend me at all. Should it? Did you pray for my lekku to fall off? If so, then I disapprove.”

After a small chuckle, Ayasha wanted his opinion on the meal. Looking over, he saw she was waiting on him to eat. Vu’thari nodded with thanks and cut a bite of the nuna. Chewing it and swallowing it, he closed his eyes and then they shot open wide. He clutches his throat and his face twisted into disgust…

Pause. His hands slid down and his face relaxed.

With a smile, he said quietly, “It’s fantastic. You are a really good cook, my Pawadan! I sense...seconds in my future.”

For many moments, they enjoyed their meal together and discussed items that had to be taken care of around the apartment and the workshop. After talking shop for a bit, Vu’thari shifted the conversation, “I found and met someone here in Nar Shaddaa…someone strong in the Force—they do not know it. His name is Prax Dek. The man has had a tough run up to this point: a slave, death and a swirling darkness within him—he would make a good Sith…but I see him being a great Jedi.”

The Jedi paused with a sigh and said, “He will need our help. I am going to train him…”

@Wolf
    @Critas

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. Ayasha Waya

Ayasha Waya Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Jedi Padawan
    OCC Account:
    Wolf
    Character Profile:
    Link
    “Did you pray for my lekku to fall off? If so, then I disapprove,” the twi'lek said in jest of Ayasha blessing her meal. She smiled at the mental imagery that the words incited. The young woman waited and watched as the Jedi Master took the first bite of the meal she had prepared. He closed his eyes and after a few moments of silence passed, he experienced a much different reaction than Ayasha had imagined. His eyes grew wide and he clutched his throat while his face contorted into an expression of disgust.

Ayasha rose to her feet and was just about to rush to Vu'thari's aid when suddenly his theatrics ceased. His hands dropped from his throat and his face relaxed. “It's fantastic,” the twi'lek began with a smile on his face. The young woman swallowed the lump in her throat as she slowly dipped back into her seat. This kind of humor was very new to her and at first, she failed to see how it could be funny. After a few moments of silence, the young woman smiled though she was on guard for more of these tricks.

The roasted nuna legs and baked bread was a delicious meal that reminded Ayasha of happier times on Galtea. She was thankful to have a dish familiar to her for a change. The pair talked at length about things at the shop and at home in the apartment. The padawan described a strange noise coming from the fresher and Vu'thari ageed to look into it.

The conversation shifted and Vu'thari's face took on a sober expression. “I found and met someone here in Nar Shaddaa...someone strong in the Force – they do not know it...” the twi'lek began. Ayasha raised a brow as she studied her Master's face and briefly caught a mental glimpse of the one whom he was speaking of. “His name is Prax Dek.” Vu'thari continued by explaining the terrible life that he had endured. Something inside of Ayasha recoiled at the thought of her Jedi Master giving away details of the fledgling Order to this stranger with a dark history and possibly dark tendencies.

“He would make a good Sith...but I see him being a great Jedi,” the twi'lek added. The padawan closed her eyes for a moment as she focused upon the image within her mind. Though not incredibly clear as if she were face to face with Prax, she could see the sadness in his eyes and feel the storm within his heart. While she felt a great deal of compassion for the stranger, she could not shake the suspicion she had of him either. “He will need our help. I am going to train him,” Vu'thari concluded.

The caramel skinned woman folded her hands in her lap as her eyes fell to the table. She would never defy her Master, but in this, she disagreed with him. “I would be lying if I told you that I was not concerned,” the woman began gently while studying the plates between them. She sighed and shifted her gaze to the face of the pink skinned alien. “I trust your judgement. You see something in him that can be shaped into a great Jedi. I believe that anyone can be redeemed from their circumstances and choices...” she paused a moment as her mind shifted to the image of the face of her father. It was a strange occurrence and just as swiftly as it happened, the image disappeared.

Ayasha shifted in her seat as she smiled at Vu'thari. “You really do have a good heart,” she said quietly. “I will help him. He will need friendship and a gentle presence to soften any hardness in his heart,” the padawan said with resolve. Silence fell over the room as she pondered how things were changing yet again. Now there would be another student and the number of Jedi would continue to grow. This made Ayasha glad and she could not help but smile as these thoughts filled her mind. “I will do whatever you need of me to help our new friend adjust.”

@Mithias
    @Critas

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. Vuthari

Vuthari Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Jedi Master
    OCC Account:
    Mithias
    Character Profile:
    Link

[​IMG]
    Vu’thari’s Apartment
    Corellia Sector
    Nar Shaddaa

It was amazing to Vu’thari how this young woman had matured so fast in such a short amount of time. In truth, perhaps she was always that mature, but seemed not to be due to her naivety. No matter what the case was, she would be able to help him and the Jedi appreciated it greatly, “Thank you, Ayasha. It means a great deal to me that you are willing to help. You are on the road to becoming a great Jedi Knight…”

The twi’lek shared a sincere smile with his padawan and continued, “ I will need you to stay attuned to his emotions. This is an area that you shine in, so I am going to depend on you more and more for matters of sensing and the mental side of the Force. As for Prax, for the moment, I have no idea what we are getting into there. All I know is that it feels ‘right’, despite the darkness within. He is a determined man—I believe he will be able to work through it.”

The pair continued to eat, switching topics from time to time. The music continued to play loudly in the background to ensure secrecy in their conversations. Vu’thari took another bite and when he finished swallowing, he looked up and said, “By the way…I really haven’t spend the time to talk to you about my business partner and his associates…”

Wiping his mouth of the grease, he continued, “Dio is the man ‘next door’ to us in the workshop. He has been my business partner for over five years. We both discovered early on in our relationship that neither one of us cared for the attention of Imperial Hutta…at all. It was soon after that I started to piece together that he and his associates, Cory and Arturo, are all Mandalorians. He was able to piece together that I was avoiding Imperial entanglements at all costs. At this point, they know I am part of the Galactic Alliance, but do not know I am a Jedi, or jetti, as they call us. As you and I have discussed on Tatooine, those warrior clans have had enough of the Empire as well—which is another big reason why the time for the Galactic Alliance to strike is now, thus the quick training regimen of the Jedi..."

Pause.

“At some point, the Mandalorians here will discover the truth about you and I. My concern is that I do not know what their reaction will be. They do not lump Sith and the Jedi together, thus their different terms for them, however, force-users in general may be not be looked upon favorably. It is strange…I trust Dio, Cory, and Arturo with my life, but I do not entirely trust them. I think it is the same with them concerning me…”

@Wolf
    @Critas

Wolf likes this.
  6. Ayasha Waya

Ayasha Waya Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Jedi Padawan
    OCC Account:
    Wolf
    Character Profile:
    Link
    “Thank you, Ayasha,” Vu'thari began after the padawan agreed to do all she could to be a friend to Prax. “You are on the road to becoming a great Jedi Knight...” the words caught the woman by surprise and her eyes that had been shifting from the twi'lek's face to her hands suddenly rose to meet with Vu'thari's shining green pair. The woman was well aware that that was how it worked. She realized that her training would reach a natural apex at some point and she would go on to serve the emerging Jedi Order as a Knight. This had all been explained to her rather early on...but she had never put herself into the equation.

A wide smile crossed the woman's face as she nodded and silently thanked Vu'thari for, what she considered to be, a compliment of the highest degree. The twi'lek continued explaining how he would need Ayasha to remain attuned to Prax's emotions, adding that it was an area she shined in. “I am going to depend on you more and more for matters of sensing and the mental side of the Force.” The padawan nodded, willing to do whatever it was that Vu'thari expected of her.

“I have no idea what we are getting into there,” the twi'lek continued, speaking of the newest padawan he had decided to take under his wing. Ayasha would remain guarded as she would slowly come to know Prax, but she would not allow his past to determine the way she would treat him. Like anyone else, the young woman knew that he had to have come from somewhere to get to where he was going. “All I know is that it feels 'right', despite the darkness within,” the Jedi Master added. Ayasha was thankful that they were able to speak so openly with one another. These candid conversations had allowed their trust for one another to soar and that proved to be a great benefit during times of trouble.

Vu'thari believed in Prax and that was enough for the Galtean native. She would not question his decision further but would seek to be of help in any way possible. Ayasha realized that each Jedi would have their own history, their own story. Some would be catapulted into the Light by the darkness of their past, and she could only hope that that would be the case with this man that Vu'thari described as 'determined'. “I believe he will be able to work through it,” the twi'lek concluded.

As the pair continued to enjoy the sumptuous meal that Ayasha had prepared, they spoke of many things, laughing and smiling as they did. The music that played loudly in the background was something that the padawan was growing accustomed to. She understood the reasoning behind the move and thought it was a rather brilliant one. Vu'thari had gone to great lengths to ensure their safety and security as they resided on Nar Shaddaa. He had outlined a list of rules upon Ayasha's arrival, rules that were intended to keep her from the harm that lurked just outside the door to the apartment. Though her first few days had been spent in a state of constant paranoia, the young woman had quickly picked up on the routine that would allow her to live guarded, but less fearful.

“By the way...” Vu'thari began, changing the subject to something he had not spent a lot of time discussing with Ayasha: his business partner and his associates. Ayasha had learned early in her time with Vu'thari that there were some things she did not need to question. His relationship with these men who seemed like the hardened type was one of those things. “Dio is the man 'next door' to us in the workshop. He has been my business partner for over five years,” the twi'lek wiped his mouth and began detailing how it came to pass that Dio and his fellow associates were Mandalorians that now knew about Vu'thari's association with the Galactic Alliance.

Ayasha's eyes grew wide at this revelation but she resisted the urge to speak. “They do not know I am a Jedi, or jetti, as they call us.” While this was a small bit of comfort, the young woman could not help but think back to her brief interactions with these men. The padawan wiped the corner of her mouth with her napkin before slowly lowering it to her lap. She was naive, but she was not stupid. She had seen the men coming and going from Dio's side of the shop and she had her suspicions. “At some point, the Madalorians here will discover the truth about you and I,” Vu'thari went on, describing his uncertainty for the reaction they may have to their affiliation with the Jedi. While the warrior clans did not lump the Jedi in with the Sith, it was possible that the fact that they were Force users might be looked down upon.

The padawan's own thoughts were in a race with the information that Vu'thari was pouring into her. “It is strange...I trust Dio, Cory and Arturo with my life, but I do not entirely trust them. I think it is the same with them concerning me...” Ayasha still had a great deal to learn about various relationships and their dynamics. She was puzzled how the twi'lek could trust these men with his life...but not entirely trust them. Her mind made quick work in an attempt to make sense of the trust, and lack thereof, between the men.

After several moments of silence, the young woman nodded slowly as she continued studying Vu'thari's face. “I think I understand...” she began slowly as various scenarios played out in her head, threatening to drown her in the anxiety of the “what if's”. “You trust them with your life...just not the Jedi part of your life. Yet. Inevitably they will find out someday...” the padawan paused and considered the moment that lived in the future. “If our relationship with them is strong and positive now, how could they look at us any differently once they know?”

Ayasha smiled as she shifted in her seat. “You know the old saying...'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'? You're already their friend and you share a common enemy...so your affiliation with the Jedi should remain inconsequential,” the ever optimistic woman beamed.

@Mithias
    @Critas

7. Prax Dek

Prax Dek Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Critas
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Prax was enjoying the meat on a stick he had purchased from a street vendor at a stall a few moments ago. He had been staying with Vu’thari and attempting to keep his ties with the local Nar Shaddaa community intact for the last few days. Many of the various people he had as contacts had heard of his new status as free, but few had known the details. The Sith and Hutt duo responsible for the deed had kept it quiet on the streets. Prax saw no reason to let that information out to the general public so when asked he chose to change the subject. The personages he dealt with chose to allow the subject settle there.

He had just left Alzara the butcher’s shop, needing to ensure that his contact for body removal was still active, when he started towards Vu’thari’s place. He briefly contemplated the nature of the meat on his stick, but it was delicious, and he decided he simply did not want to know. There were some things that you just needed to take at face value, street vendor meat was one of them. He felt good, almost all of his former contacts would still deal with him considering his new status. That was a definite win in his book. It was certainly more than he had hoped for.

Prax started up the stairs to Vu’thari’s and as he got near the top, he started to smell the food. Dinner had been cooked and he had forgotten, and he was late. Quickly running a hand through his hair to smooth is back and make himself presentable he realized the dilemma of the meat on a stick. He could hide it and try to get in without them noticing. He could also try and eat it but that would make him even more late. Finally, he decided to just walk in with it, he tired of deception and would face the music.

He opened the door and looked into the room. He saw Vu’thari sitting with a human female that he had not met before. Vu’thari had told him that he had other people studying under him and he assumed this was one of them. Prax felt his face slide into a non-expression, one of the reactionary faces you used in the pens. It was used to keep emotion away from those watching you and Prax had become a master at it. He did not know this female, and nor did he trust her. Involuntarily his arms went across his body, a gesture of protection and avoidance. He closed the door behind him and turned towards the kitchen, his meat stick in hand as he walked hoping not to interrupt the conversation.

@Mithias
    @Wolf

Mithias and Wolf like this.
  8. Vuthari

Vuthari Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Jedi Master
    OCC Account:
    Mithias
    Character Profile:
    Link

[​IMG]
    Vu’thari’s Apartment
    Corellia Sector
    Nar Shaddaa

As the discussion on the Mandalorians subsided, Vu’thari’s mind kept going to the task before them. The possibility of rediscovering a Jedi Temple that was one of the Jedi Order’s biggest secrets was exciting, but also a daunting prospect. He had navigated an asteroid field once before…with mixed results. According to the star maps he studied, this was a much larger field. In fact, it seemed the only sane way to navigate it was the course that had been laid out discovered in the code.

The door opened with Prax coming in. He had been staying with Vu’thari while Ayasha was on her trip to Ab’soleem. Sensing the discomfort and distrust of Prax as he walked into the kitchen, he glanced over Ayasha and then back to Prax. The square table had four chairs around it. Ayasha and Vu’thari sat across from one another as they ate. The Jedi looked over at Prax and said, “Prax…bring your food and come eat with us.”

It was clear to Prax that there seemed to be no shame in coming with his own food. The twi’lek gestured to a chair between him and the Galtean.

“This is Ayasha. She is a Padawan of mine, like you…”

Still sensing the unease of the former slave, he added quietly, “You can trust her…”

@Wolf
    @Critas

Wolf likes this.
  9. Ayasha Waya

Ayasha Waya Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Jedi Padawan
    OCC Account:
    Wolf
    Character Profile:
    Link
    The conversation between Vu'thari and Ayasha subsided as the pair heard the door to the apartment open. The young woman's hand slid to the blaster secure in the holster upon her thigh. She felt the presence before she saw the face of her fellow padawan, Prax. As he came into view with the meat stick in hand, the Galtean native relaxed and her hand returned to the napkin in her lap.

“Prax...bring your food and come eat with us,” Vu'thari encouraged the man whom Ayasha had never before met. The Jedi Master had informed the woman of the new living arrangements and the addition of Prax to the padawan fold. While she was wary of strangers, especially those of such a dark past, the woman was eternally optimistic. As the seemingly hardened man entered the room, Ayasha reached out toward him with the Force and opened her emotional channels to him. The natural empath and skilled mentalist could immediately sense the distrust that hid just below the surface.

Ayasha smiled warmly and gave a nod to her fellow student. She knew that winning him over would be a difficult task, but she was up for the challenge. “This is Ayasha. She is a padawan of mine, like you...” Vu'thari began again, pausing after the introduction. The caramel skinned woman glanced at the Jedi Master before returning her gaze to Prax. He crossed his arms and reinforced the wall that he had undoubtedly spent a great deal of time building up around himself. Though the padawan knew very little of the man's history, she reminded herself that she trusted Vu'thari's judgement and the twi'lek could sense the potential locked away inside of him. “You can trust her...” the pink skinned alien added.

“Is that a meat stick from down the street?” Ayasha questioned as she pointed to the food in Prax's hand. “I'm not really sure what they are, but they're so good, I don't care,” she said with a string of laughter that sounded more like a song than a harsh chuckle. The woman pushed herself away from the table and rose to her feet. She moved quickly toward the kitchen where she retrieved a plate and filled it with a couple of nuna legs and some warm bread. “It was my first attempt at cooking in this way, but it passed Vu'thari's test so maybe you'll like it too...” the woman's voice trailed off as she returned to the table and set the plate at an empty spot between her and the Jedi Master.

Ayasha returned to her seat and looked back at Prax. He was so guarded and it felt as if there was a lock over his heart. There was something though...something deep within him that she could sense within the endless web of the Force that bound everything together. It started out small...then it grew until the woman could see it within her mind's eye. Light. There was a tiny ball of burning bright light nestled away deep within Prax. It was the good that Ayasha knew lived within everyone. Coupled with that light was the potential that Vu'thari had felt in the man's presence.

The Galtean native smiled. Her golden eyes were gentle as they rested upon the face of her fellow student. Behind the harsh exterior, the defensive stance, the walls to keep everyone out...was a deep sorrow that she could not place. The feelings that she had experienced while standing in a forest that had been razed by fire...was the same emotions radiating from within this man. The woman's heart broke for him. Whatever it was he had come from, it had driven him to a place from which many could never return. “You can trust me...but you don't have to yet,” Ayasha began softly. She was learning how to project her emotions onto others in the same way in which she received them. It was an ability that mingled her natural talents of empathy and telepathy.

To Prax, she wove love and acceptance around her words before speaking them...sending them to the man. She would never wish to appear threatening, untrustworthy or judgmental. The invitation to trust her in his time was the only thing she knew to offer her fellow padawan. Nothing could force him to lay down his defenses to her. Nothing could make him even like her. All she could do was try. Just as she had set herself aside and promised Vu'thari that she would do everything she could to help him grieve and live and heal as much as he was able...she would do the same for Prax.

@Critas
    @Mithias