Non-Sentient Rakghouls

Discussion in 'Approved Species Profiles' started by Korvo, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Korvo

Korvo World Builder

• HISTORY

[​IMG]

Sometimes referred to as the Blight of Taris
      _and the Tarisian Scourge., the Rakghouls were a mutated, cannibalistic experiment of abominations, later known as Sithspawn. Created as the byproduct of illegal genetic engineering exploring the limits of humanoid endurance and physiology, these abominations were forged with the intention of becoming a new method of mass producing expendable, physically superior soldiers for the Old Empire to aid in hunting down the remnants of the Jedi. The result were Sithspawn that were mentally-resistant to influence by the Force, were physically superior to most baseline Humanoid species, had no sense of self-preservation from harm and were naturally infectious with a retrovirus that would mutate those that managed to survive attacks by them, thus increasing their numbers. Terelya Alemanii-Drast therefore named the creatures "Rákghouls"_(with "rák" coming from the archaic Deucalic word for "cancerous", and "ghoul" being the Basic word adopted for the Deucalic term "draugr", which referred to an evil spirit, or demon).

It was unknown how or why, but soon after their creation, the Rakghouls broke from Terelya's control, running rampant and infecting thousands in what became known as the Rakghoul Plague. A detachment of Imperial forces were called in to purge the rampaging Rakghouls, taking heavy losses in the process. In the end, however, the Rakghouls were seemingly all but exterminated, with the exception of a small remnant that escaped to the unpopulated bowels of the planet. Almost a century and a half later, political strife on Taris eventually led to extreme forms of judicial punishment, one of the most severe being exile to the Tarisian Undercity. With the Rakghouls believed to have died out over one hundred years ago, the Tarisian government sentenced droves of criminals and outcasts into the Undercity, a sentence of permanent exile for them and their descendants.

Unbeknownst to them, however, the Rakghouls that were scattered survived the long century, and began tormenting the populations in the Undercity. Because of the cut off communications, it was decades before the Upper City and Tarisian government even knew that the Rakghouls were still alive. However, because they appeared isolated to the Undercity and only affected the Outcasts, the Tarisian government was more content to ignore the problem, and use the Rakghoul presence as a deterrent to crime and insurrection throughout the Tarisian city levels. Beyond Taris, few that were even aware of the Rakghouls in the first place know that they do indeed still exist. To this day, the Rakghouls are a very real threat and danger, but remain confined to the Tarisian Undercity...
    • OVERVIEW

[​IMG]
      A Hreint-strain Rakghoul
      In spite of having only been around for approximately 350 years, Rakghouls undergone three distinct mutations, each rendering them more base, animalistic and less intelligent than the last. The original Rakghouls, later called Hreint-strain Rakghouls, were Sithspawn of base intelligence. While capable of wielding weapons, wearing armor and understanding speech, they lacked the faculties to speak intelligibly themselves. Modifications to their physical brains and brain chemistry also vastly diminished their capacity for reason and intelligence, although they were capable of taking orders.

However, the Hreint-strain Rakghouls rapidly degenerated into the Rotnun-strain Rakghouls. The two strains were very similar, however the Rotnun-strain Rakghouls possessed mental faculties so diminished, they could no longer even take orders or recognize master or ally from food or enemy, and thus became little more than rampaging, cannibalistic monstrosities. It was the Rotnun-strain Rakghouls that battled the Imperial Legions during the Rakghoul Plague, and were driven down into the Tarisian Undercity. Centuries later in isolation, the Rotnun-strain Rakghouls decayed even further into what was called, upon their discovery, Errant-strain Rakghouls.

Errant-strain Rakghouls (aka, modern Rakghouls) were fully non-sentient, possessing an intelligence much more akin to an animal than a sapient individual. Incapable of using tools, weapons or protective wear, Errant-strain Rakghouls were naked, more noticeably mutated (such as a reduction from five digits to three, increased digit sizes, a hunched form and inability to stand upright, and a reduced bodily size, with the average Hreint-strain Rakghoul standing at almost 2 meters in height, to the Errant-strain Rakghoul having a length of around 1.5 meters). Further, Errant-strain Rakghouls also appeared to use their elongated arms for the purpose of stable mobility, leading to the appearance of Rakghouls being quadrupedal as opposed to bipedal.

BREEDING

Unlike most species, Rakghouls do not breed in the conventional sense, nor do they reproduce asexually. Instead, the only known way that Rakghouls can propagate their species is by infecting other Humanoids, which was part of their design. As such, Rakghouls are naturally driven to attack non-Rakghouls.

STRENGTHS

Rakghouls are physically strong, have large talons, powerful jaws and are resistant to mental manipulation through the Force. In addition, Rakghouls appear to have superior longevity, assuming they even physically decay through age at all, and a superior sense of smell. Finally, assuming they do not manage to either eat or kill their prey, those who receive injury from Rakghouls at their talons or jaws and manage to get away carry the retrovirus of the Rakghouls within them, painfully mutating them into Rakghouls themselves over the course of several days, depending on the individual's natural resistance. There is a known cure, although it is scarce, highly expensive and time-consuming to synthesize, and most aware they are infected resort to taking their own lives.

WEAKNESSES

Rakghouls were never sharp of mind, but the current generation of the Sithspawn, the Errant-strain Rakghouls, carry the intelligence of a common predator. As such, Rakghouls are fairly easy to outsmart or outmaneuver, if one adequately prepared for it. In addition, their shorter stature due to mutagenic decay makes them easier to fight in melee combat for most Humanoids of typical height, given that their own reach will exceed a typical Rakghoul's. Rakghouls also lack a sense of self-preservation, feeding more due to their genetic programming to attack all non-Rakghouls, rather than a sense of hunger. Because of this, Rakghouls are easy to ensnare into traps and kill-zones, with them caring nothing for their own well-being. Conversely, this can also make them hazardous to fight, as Rakghouls will willingly hurl themselves into seemingly-lethal situations, surprising unprepared opposition.

DIET

Rakghouls are carnivorous and cannibalistic. While Rakghouls do not attack each other, dead Rakghouls are seen as meat, and are eaten. Consequently, the sight of dead Rakghouls are rare, as Rakghouls eat meat, bone and all other organic components. Given their survival of the Tarisian Undercity for almost 200 years, it is unknown if Rakghouls actually have a biological need to eat at all in the first place, or if they simply eat due to how they were designed.

BEHAVIOR AND TEMPERMENT

Rakghouls are extremely aggressive, savagely violent and seemingly insatiable, voracious eaters. They seem to possess little drive or perform little action besides wandering about, except when a non-Rakghoul lifeform comes into their line of sight, or is picked up by their scent. As opposed to any form of kinship, Rakghouls seems to disregard other Rakghouls, ignoring them outright unless they are dead, at which point the corpse of the deceased is eaten in its entirety.
    • SOCIETY

[​IMG]
      An Imperial soldier succumbing to the Rakghoul Plague

Rakghouls appear to reside in groups alongside one another, although they do not seem to regard each other until death, at which time the deceased is consumed. As such, Rakghouls do not have any real society or culture besides living in horde-like clusters.

COMMUNICATION

Rakghouls were designed without the capacity for intelligible communication, such as conventional speech. However, they do appear to possess a level of communication among themselves, during the rare instances that Rakghouls interact with one another. This is largely seen during feeding, where the "alpha" Rakghoul picks corpses to consume before the rest of the horde, or during attacks, where seemingly-subservient Rakghouls follow the lead of one, or ones, taking the lead. During such times, Rakghouls appear to relay intentions to one another via howls and growls, variably toned hisses and guttural roaring or barking.

PLANET

Rakghouls were created on, and still currently live on, the Outer Rim planet of Taris, currently within the regional boundaries of the Old Empire.

TECHNOLOGY

While the original Rakghouls (Hreint-strain and Rotnun-strain, respectively) were capable of using technology, armor and tools, they lacked the intellectual capacity to create, modify or maintain them. Modern Rakghouls (Errant-strain) have devolved to such an extent that they cannot even use technology in any capacity anymore.
    • INTENT

Bringing the Rakghouls back for the pleasure of all that would like to use them! Also, am planning on encountering Rakghouls in a planned plotline (_aren't y'all excited? :D )

Code:
    [abox3=650px]

[cbox3=75%][center][img]https://i.imgur.com/WrGrqEU.jpg[/img][/center][/cbox3]
    [center][aname=GT_3][glow=brown][exsize=65][color=#651414][gfont=Revalia]R[/exsize][exsize=50]AKGHOULS[/exsize][/gfont][/color][/glow][/aname][/abox3]

[abox3=575px][Tabs][Tab=History][justify][cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]HISTORY[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    [justify][gfont=Rationale][exsize=12.5][color=darkgray][glow=#303434][abox3=530px][center][img]https://i.imgur.com/HbHIuFW.jpg[/img][/center][/abox3]
    Sometimes referred to as the [i]Blight of Taris[/i][/glow][color=transparent]_[/color][glow=#303434]and the [i]Tarisian Scourge[/i][/glow][color=transparent].[/color][glow=#303434], the [b]Rakghouls[/b] were a mutated, cannibalistic experiment of abominations, later known as Sithspawn. Created as the byproduct of illegal genetic engineering exploring the limits of humanoid endurance and physiology, these abominations were forged with the intention of becoming a new method of mass producing expendable, physically superior soldiers for the Old Empire to aid in hunting down the remnants of the Jedi. The result were Sithspawn that were mentally-resistant to influence by the Force, were physically superior to most baseline Humanoid species, had no sense of self-preservation from harm and were naturally infectious with a retrovirus that would mutate those that managed to survive attacks by them, thus increasing their numbers. Terelya Alemanii-Drast therefore named the creatures [i]"Rákghouls"[/i][/glow][color=transparent]_[/color][glow=#303434](with "rák" coming from the archaic Deucalic word for "cancerous", and "ghoul" being the Basic word adopted for the Deucalic term "draugr", which referred to an evil spirit, or demon).

It was unknown how or why, but soon after their creation, the Rakghouls broke from Terelya's control, running rampant and infecting thousands in what became known as the Rakghoul Plague. A detachment of Imperial forces were called in to purge the rampaging Rakghouls, taking heavy losses in the process. In the end, however, the Rakghouls were seemingly all but exterminated, with the exception of a small remnant that escaped to the unpopulated bowels of the planet. Almost a century and a half later, political strife on Taris eventually led to extreme forms of judicial punishment, one of the most severe being exile to the Tarisian Undercity. With the Rakghouls believed to have died out over one hundred years ago, the Tarisian government sentenced droves of criminals and outcasts into the Undercity, a sentence of permanent exile for them and their descendants.

Unbeknownst to them, however, the Rakghouls that were scattered survived the long century, and began tormenting the populations in the Undercity. Because of the cut off communications, it was decades before the Upper City and Tarisian government even knew that the Rakghouls were still alive. However, because they appeared isolated to the Undercity and only affected the Outcasts, the Tarisian government was more content to ignore the problem, and use the Rakghoul presence as a deterrent to crime and insurrection throughout the Tarisian city levels. Beyond Taris, few that were even aware of the Rakghouls in the first place know that they do indeed still exist. To this day, the Rakghouls are a very real threat and danger, but remain confined to the Tarisian Undercity...[/exsize][/color][/glow][/gfont][/justify][/tab][tab=Biology][cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]OVERVIEW[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    [abox="300px"][float_left][img]https://i.imgur.com/o74j1tG.jpg[/img]
    [center][gfont=Rationale][exsize=12.5][color=darkgray][glow=#303434][i][b]A Hreint-strain Rakghoul[/b][/i][/exsize][/glow][/gfont][/center][/float_left][/abox][justify][gfont=Rationale][exsize=12.5][color=darkgray][glow=#303434]In spite of having only been around for approximately 350 years, Rakghouls undergone three distinct mutations, each rendering them more base, animalistic and less intelligent than the last. The original Rakghouls, later called [i]Hreint[/i]-strain Rakghouls, were Sithspawn of base intelligence. While capable of wielding weapons, wearing armor and understanding speech, they lacked the faculties to speak intelligibly themselves. Modifications to their physical brains and brain chemistry also vastly diminished their capacity for reason and intelligence, although they were capable of taking orders.

However, the [i]Hreint[/i]-strain Rakghouls rapidly degenerated into the [i]Rotnun[/i]-strain Rakghouls. The two strains were very similar, however the [i]Rotnun[/i]-strain Rakghouls possessed mental faculties so diminished, they could no longer even take orders or recognize master or ally from food or enemy, and thus became little more than rampaging, cannibalistic monstrosities. It was the [i]Rotnun[/i]-strain Rakghouls that battled the Imperial Legions during the Rakghoul Plague, and were driven down into the Tarisian Undercity. Centuries later in isolation, the [i]Rotnun[/i]-strain Rakghouls decayed even further into what was called, upon their discovery, [i]Errant[/i]-strain Rakghouls.

[i]Errant[/i]-strain Rakghouls (aka, modern Rakghouls) were fully non-sentient, possessing an intelligence much more akin to an animal than a sapient individual. Incapable of using tools, weapons or protective wear, [i]Errant[/i]-strain Rakghouls were naked, more noticeably mutated (such as a reduction from five digits to three, increased digit sizes, a hunched form and inability to stand upright, and a reduced bodily size, with the average [i]Hreint[/i]-strain Rakghoul standing at almost 2 meters in height, to the [i]Errant[/i]-strain Rakghoul having a length of around 1.5 meters). Further, [i]Errant[/i]-strain Rakghouls also appeared to use their elongated arms for the purpose of stable mobility, leading to the appearance of Rakghouls being quadrupedal as opposed to bipedal.

[cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]BREEDING[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    Unlike most species, Rakghouls do not breed in the conventional sense, nor do they reproduce asexually. Instead, the only known way that Rakghouls can propagate their species is by infecting other Humanoids, which was part of their design. As such, Rakghouls are naturally driven to attack non-Rakghouls.

[cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]STRENGTHS[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    Rakghouls are physically strong, have large talons, powerful jaws and are resistant to mental manipulation through the Force. In addition, Rakghouls appear to have superior longevity, assuming they even physically decay through age at all, and a superior sense of smell. Finally, assuming they do not manage to either eat or kill their prey, those who receive injury from Rakghouls at their talons or jaws and manage to get away carry the retrovirus of the Rakghouls within them, painfully mutating them into Rakghouls themselves over the course of several days, depending on the individual's natural resistance. There is a known cure, although it is scarce, highly expensive and time-consuming to synthesize, and most aware they are infected resort to taking their own lives.

[cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]WEAKNESSES[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    Rakghouls were never sharp of mind, but the current generation of the Sithspawn, the [i]Errant[/i]-strain Rakghouls, carry the intelligence of a common predator. As such, Rakghouls are fairly easy to outsmart or outmaneuver, if one adequately prepared for it. In addition, their shorter stature due to mutagenic decay makes them easier to fight in melee combat for most Humanoids of typical height, given that their own reach will exceed a typical Rakghoul's. Rakghouls also lack a sense of self-preservation, feeding more due to their genetic programming to attack all non-Rakghouls, rather than a sense of hunger. Because of this, Rakghouls are easy to ensnare into traps and kill-zones, with them caring nothing for their own well-being. Conversely, this can also make them hazardous to fight, as Rakghouls will willingly hurl themselves into seemingly-lethal situations, surprising unprepared opposition.

[cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]DIET[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    Rakghouls are carnivorous and cannibalistic. While Rakghouls do not attack each other, dead Rakghouls are seen as meat, and are eaten. Consequently, the sight of dead Rakghouls are rare, as Rakghouls eat meat, bone and all other organic components. Given their survival of the Tarisian Undercity for almost 200 years, it is unknown if Rakghouls actually have a biological need to eat at all in the first place, or if they simply eat due to how they were designed.

[cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]BEHAVIOR AND TEMPERMENT[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    Rakghouls are extremely aggressive, savagely violent and seemingly insatiable, voracious eaters. They seem to possess little drive or perform little action besides wandering about, except when a non-Rakghoul lifeform comes into their line of sight, or is picked up by their scent. As opposed to any form of kinship, Rakghouls seems to disregard other Rakghouls, ignoring them outright unless they are dead, at which point the corpse of the deceased is eaten in its entirety.[/exsize][/gfont][/justify][/tab][tab=Culture][cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]SOCIETY[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    [abox3=530px][center][img]https://i.imgur.com/7Lg1D82.jpg[/img]
    [gfont=Rationale][exsize=12.5][color=darkgray][glow=#303434][i][b]An Imperial soldier succumbing to the Rakghoul Plague[/b][/i][/exsize][/glow][/gfont][/center][/abox3]
    [justify][gfont=Rationale][exsize=12.5][color=darkgray][glow=#303434]Rakghouls appear to reside in groups alongside one another, although they do not seem to regard each other until death, at which time the deceased is consumed. As such, Rakghouls do not have any real society or culture besides living in horde-like clusters.

[cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]COMMUNICATION[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    Rakghouls were designed without the capacity for intelligible communication, such as conventional speech. However, they do appear to possess a level of communication among themselves, during the rare instances that Rakghouls interact with one another. This is largely seen during feeding, where the "alpha" Rakghoul picks corpses to consume before the rest of the horde, or during attacks, where seemingly-subservient Rakghouls follow the lead of one, or ones, taking the lead. During such times, Rakghouls appear to relay intentions to one another via howls and growls, variably toned hisses and guttural roaring or barking.

[cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]PLANET[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    Rakghouls were created on, and still currently live on, the Outer Rim planet of Taris, currently within the regional boundaries of the Old Empire.

[cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]TECHNOLOGY[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    While the original Rakghouls ([i]Hreint[/i]-strain and [i]Rotnun[/i]-strain, respectively) were capable of using technology, armor and tools, they lacked the intellectual capacity to create, modify or maintain them. Modern Rakghouls ([i]Errant[/i]-strain) have devolved to such an extent that they cannot even use technology in any capacity anymore.[/exsize][/gfont][/justify][/tab][tab=Intent][cbox4=533px][center][gfont=Revalia]INTENT[/gfont][/center][/cbox4]
    [justify][gfont=Rationale][exsize=12.5][color=darkgray][glow=#303434]Bringing the Rakghouls back for the pleasure of all that would like to use them! Also, am planning on encountering Rakghouls in a planned plotline ([/glow][color=transparent]_[/color][glow=#303434]aren't y'all excited? [/gfont]:D[gfont=Rationale])[/exsize][/gfont][/justify][/tab][/tabs]
    [/abox3]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Darasuum, Nor'baal, AutoFox and 4 others like this.
  2. Insalius

Insalius Master Strategist

Hey there, @Korvo

A couple things about this:

1. There needs to be a cure if these things can affect PCs. I know that it was only in KOTOR that a vaccine was created, but for the purpose of our RP it's something that has to be available now. It can still be hard to find, like you'd need a plot to get it and use it, but it has to be available.

2. I realize that the origin of the Rakghouls aren't exactly explored, but I'm going to have to ask to nix the Deucalian/Drast connection to it. It just doesn't fit, so that'll need to be changed.

Once those are done, go ahead and tag me and I'll take another look. Have a good evening!

3. Korvo

Korvo World Builder

Aye aye!
    There is no Deucalian connection. Because the Rakghouls originated as living weapons made by a Sith Lord called Karness Muur in Legends, I figured I'd keep that part of their history, and just revise it to work for the site. And if it was a Sith creation, I had assumed it would have to be a Sith that had a level of access to information and resources necessary to carry it out (ie, someone from the Drast dynasty). I just chose the Alemanii-Drast branch of the family line because of a "huh, well why not?" reason.

If not made by the Sith, do you have any other suggestions on where I should take it so that it will fit? I was under the impression that we can't really submit articles with uncertainties, otherwise I'd have made it vague.

@Insalius

4. Lucid

Lucid Grumpy

The Rakghouls could have been the byproduct of illegal genetic engineering exploring the limits of humanoid endurance and physiology. Just a thought if you're stumped for ideas.

@Korvo

Nor'baal, Korvo and Faster Than Light like this.
  5. Insalius

@Korvo

Having Terelya Alemanii-Drast, as well as part of the name Rakghoul derived from a Deucalian word, was what I was talking about. The rest reads fine, so yes, the Sith COULD have been the ones to make it. Basically just changing those little things would make this fine.

Faster Than Light and Lucid like this.
  6. Korvo

Korvo World Builder

I don't see any objections, so I'll take it! @Lucid

All done! I decided against Rakghouls being a Sith creation like in Legends, so no Sith involved

7. Korvo

Korvo World Builder

Double posting... cuz I'm a dingus and forgot to tag @Insalius

8. Nor'baal

Nor'baal Cheese Appreciator

You beat me to it! I was planning a plot series to make these - might switch it up to 'spreading them' instead. This is an excellent write up Korvs. I like it :-)

Korvo likes this.
  9. Korvo

Korvo World Builder

[​IMG]
    Appreciate it bro!

Nor'baal likes this.
  10. Insalius

Okay, looks peachy keen to me. This now has my...

[​IMG]

Herrith and Korvo like this.