1. A new timeline set some 500 years after the events of the current timeline will be launched sometime mid-December!

Question Period

Discussion in 'Role-Playing Help' started by Kharnov, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Kharnov

Kharnov New Member

So I'm creating this thread to serve as a place I can come and post any questions I may have as they come up, rather than constantly making new threads for new questions. I have a few questions to get started:

I saw it noted somewhere that time is somewhat fluid in the context of roleplaying on this site, which is reasonable enough. But it led me to wonder whether or not it's appropriate for a single character to be involved in multiple role-play threads simultaneously (so long as there is no obvious conflict, if both events are specifically listed as occurring concurrently, for example)?

This is something that I feel I've seen hints at already, but I'm hoping for a bit more explicit clarification. Does a ship need to possess "Hangar Capacity" in order to carry vehicles of any kind (e.g. speeders) or does that refer specifically to the ability to carry smaller starships (fighters, shuttles, etc.)? One generic ship is noted as being able to potentially fit small vehicles into its cargo hold, I was wondering if that should be regarded as exceptional or generally possible in theory?

And finally, a question regarding piloting and astrogation; in the case of a ship that is listed as requiring a pilot and a co-pilot for hyperspace travel, how hard of a limitation is that? To demonstrate what I'm thinking, take an example of a damaged but mostly functional ship, but only one crew member alive or healthy. Under those circumstances, would the operation of the hyperdrive require so many simultaneous operations that no one person is physically capable of doing it at once? Or would that single person be able to hop into the sub-light pilot's seat, point the ship in the direction of empty space, then switch over to the co-pilot's console to plot a course through hyperspace? Obviously you wouldn't be able to operate at full efficiency, and it would pretty much certainly get you killed under combat conditions, but I'm curious about the theoretical possibility.

P.S. Credits, I almost forgot! I know that credits are used in order to rank up, but I feel like I saw it mentioned somewhere that they can be spent on advanced tech as well (there's a lot of stuff that I feel like I've seen places, but can't remember where specifically, sorry for the vagueness ^_^;). I wanted to ask if there are other uses for credits besides ranking up or purchasing equipment (if that is actually a thing)?

2. Relent

Relent Character Profiles Mod Character Moderator

1.) You can be in multiple threads simultaneously. The only recommendation is that you don't enter multiple death-enabled threads at the same time, although you still can. There have been several members this timeline who've had characters die twice. You'd be correct in that you can't join two threads that are occuring at the exact same time (this only really becomes a thing in stuff like faction battles or plots.)

2.) A ship's write up should specifically state a cargo capacity (but it might not explicitly use the word hanger.) If the cargo capacity and the size of the ship would realistically hold something like a swoop bike, I've never heard of someone saying that it couldn't be so. If you take an example like the Ebon Hawk from KotOR, I'm sure that it would have a listed cargo capacity on swrp - and we know full well it can hold stuff like swoop bikes.

3.) The co-pilot position can usually be filled by a droid. If a ship lists that it requires a co-pilot to function its hyperdrive, its best to err on the side of caution and not try to do something that it says you can't do. Astromechs are gentech and adding one to your profile to serve as a co-pilot usually isn't a big deal.

4.) "Credits" in terms of money aren't really tracked on the site, but you can use the payouts of a "bounty" to purchase a piece of advanced tech. The actual monetary value of a bounty isn't always given.

Vosrik likes this.
  3. Kharnov

Kharnov New Member

Thanks for clarifying ^_^

Relent likes this.