Advanced  Other Proton Torpedo Launcher

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Wit, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Wit

Wit Beyond Measure

[​IMG]

Proton Torpedo Launcher

Affiliation
    Open Market

Manufacturer:
    Various

Type:
    Ship Weapon Upgrade
    Power Supply:
    Ship's power core

Size:
    Varies by ship

Composition:
    Tempered Durasteel Alloy

Description
    While externally mounted torpedo tubes have been available for some time, there also existed a market for a more discrete means of acquiring additional firepower, which resulted in a number of offerings cropping up for internally installable proton torpedo launchers. Installable anywhere on the ship with sufficient space to house the launcher and access to the ship's exterior, these launchers typically house two torpedoes per tube when installed on starfighters, while the larger size of freighters allows three torpedos per tube and draw power from the ship's core.

Installable on any ship ranging ins size from those as small as fighters all the way up to large freighters, the only restriction on these upgrades are sufficient space inside the ship to house them and having the means to provide enough power to them. They vary in appearance as freighters often use simple flaps to cover the tubes while fighters have them visibly present on the exterior.

Legality
    Illegal for civilian use, unless government licenses are acquired for their use. Such licenses would be hard to acquire and add require thorough background checks or sufficiently heavy bribes.

Intent
    To create a means for ships to add torpedo tubes as a weapon upgrade.

Advanced Tech
    Yes. Military-grade weaponry is expensive and difficult to obtain outside of military organizations. A basic freighter installation would require a tech plot of 2-3 threads, while more complex installations such as installing them on starfighters or installing multiple tubes can can take up to 3-4 threads.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Vosrik likes this.
  2. Darasuum

Darasuum Skilled-Scrub/Plotting Mod Plot Moderator

don't forget the Advanced Tech prefix.

Wit likes this.
  3. Wit

Wit Beyond Measure

Damn, my bad. Nice catch, added!

4. AutoFox

AutoFox Tech Mod/Tech Archiver Tech Moderator

@Wit

If I could, I'd like to make these a little harder to get, maybe 2-3 threads instead of 1-2 for anything larger than a starfighter. I'd like these to be harder to get for starfighters, maybe 3-4 threads. Finally, if you could, maybe reduce the ammunition capacity to 2 per tube for starfighters and 3 for anything larger.

Wit likes this.
  5. Wit

Wit Beyond Measure

All done, made it 2 torps for starfighters and 3 for freighters and above, and 2-3 threads for starfigthers and 3-4 threads for more.

6. AutoFox

I'm afraid you have the threads backward. 2-3 threads for freighters and 3-4 threads for starfighters. I want it to be more difficult to fit these to starfighters.

7. Wit

Wit Beyond Measure

I just completely misread your earlier post. Correct now!

8. AutoFox

Approved!

Wit likes this.
  9. Darasuum

If we want these installed on fighters do they HAVE to be installed externally? Wouldn't that make them susceptible to being hit by cannon fire and explode?

10. Wit

Wit Beyond Measure

No, not really. Atleast I didn't envision then like that. But upto @AutoFox to decide.

11. AutoFox

These can indeed be fitted internally on starfighters.

Darasuum likes this.
  12. Darasuum

So it's my understanding that a starfighter cannot have more than two torpedo tube (per upgrade) per starfighter? Starfighters could in theory take two of these upgrades and have two tubes with two torpedoes but freighters can have up to 3 torpedoes per tube.