Open Off Duty at Junction Base

Discussion in 'Outer Rim Territories' started by Graham Siccaro, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Graham Siccaro

Graham Siccaro Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

OCC Account:
    Luster
    Character Profile:
    Link

Graham instinctively removed his duty cap as he stepped through the doorway. The thirty some odd standard years of manner tutors and military discipline had left more than a few telltale marks on the man, many of which had stood him well. But that was about the only good thing he could say of his upbringing, managing to suppress a scowl as his mind flicked over all the opportunities denied him. Born to high standing you are given the world on a plate, born any lower and all you get is a view of how your life could have been.

He shook his head to clear the thoughts, hiding the gesture by wiping the sweat off his brow with the sleeve of his uniform. While he had been serving in the Imperial Military for some time now, but normally as part of planetary assaults and raids, even serving garrison duty once. This was his first time on Junction, and with nothing to do until his next duty assignment he was very much in unknown territory. After meeting with the IDF base liaison and stowing his gear Graham had decided to walk the perimeter and get a feel for the his current home's defenses. While good, they could be better.

Now upon entering the base's main building and stepping aside to clear the door way he took a moment to glance over the open, two story architecture and amenities. After that brief moment of familiarization he retrieved a ration from the mess and found a small table surrounded by comfy looking chairs to perch. Once settled in he began to idly eat bites between making notations on his datapad and observing what members of the base's occupants he could see.

2. Konzesh

Konzesh Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

Sith Knight
    OCC Account:
    QwibQwib
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Konzesh's steps were utterly aimless within the unfamiliar confines of Junction Base. It was as alien as the planet it sat on. At least to the Sith. This place was as far from old, sandy Korriban as he could imagine. And this newness caused him to wring his hands together, his thumbs fiddling with each other as he walked around the main hall, ventured to the living quarters, visited the hangar and returned to the main hall. His wonder was transparent, eyes taking in everything with widened excitement and large, teeth-exposing grins.

He'd not gotten to eat very much on the shuttle flight here, however. Surviving on thin rations. His last meal had been dry, hard and thoroughly unappetizing. And his body screamed this fact to him now, his stomach growling, a loud obstructive sound that would have caused a blush to cloud his features if he had been in the company of people he actually cared about, or at the least knew about. But that was not the case, and so he traveled to the cafeteria without any fuss.

And the ration offered there looked leagues more appealing to the boy than what he was used to, despite its relative simplicity. To the entity who offered it, he allowed a short bobbing of his head and a mumbled: "Thank you." before he turned away from them. His eyes scanned the assorted dining tables shortly. Many of them were empty, many of them had groups of people socializing, two had a sole occupant, and only one of those two were close to him. Three choices. Sit and eat alone, try to spring into a group's conversation and likely be a bit of a third wheel or socialize with the man at the nearest table.

The latter was the most appealing to him, so he sprang onto that, stepping towards Graham's table with an enthusiastic smile, unwavering in his approach whether he was noticed or not. Once he was close enough to a seat to sit himself down he immediately threw out a question. "What are you writing?"

3. Graham Siccaro

Graham Siccaro Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

OCC Account:
    Luster
    Character Profile:
    Link

Graham thought he had glimpsed the Zabrak a few times in his own exploration of the base, looking quite unsure of himself. He had assumed from that and the boy's apparent youth that he was wandering until he received orders from one of the Sith Masters. Then again, the Sith often acted according to their own rules and customs from what he had seen in the past, so he put the figure out of mind and hadn't had reason to consider him as he ate. Thus it came as some surprise when they boy sat unannounced at his table and without introducing himself popped off a question.

A flash of annoyance lit through Graham's mind. The Sith often acted superior due to their connection to the force, and to be fair they could preform feats that most people couldn't even dream of. But for this youngling to just assume.... He took a breath and stopped that train of though cold.
    He is young and seems to be on his own, probably looking for some sort of company. And do remember that not everyone was taught courtly manners and introductions like I was. I doubt any offense was meant.

A small sigh escaped the older man's cool facade as he set the fork down on the try and brought his hands together in front of him. Looking the Sith directly in the eye -exactly as he was instructed NEVER to do- he said "Before I answer that, young Sith, let us start this off correctly." He sat up a tiny bit straighter. "Hello, I a Lieutenant Graham Siccaro of the Imperial Shock Corps, currently unassigned. And you may be?"

4. Konzesh

Konzesh Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

Sith Knight
    OCC Account:
    QwibQwib
    Character Profile:
    Link
    His enthusiasm was a bit stomped, as the answer-- or rather reply was leveled on him. And with his enthusiasm went his smile. Suddenly, this interaction wasn't nearly as casual as he had wanted it to be. Now it was stamped with formality, procedure. Because the man in front of him insisted that it be that way, that they do this 'correctly'.

This sudden change from the casual to the formal immediately caused him to shy away from the eye contact, at first, for a mere second he looked down at the table. Before he remembered himself. He was Sith, he shouldn't be acting this way. And so he looked back up, his expression now blank and calm. His nervousness forgotten.

And it was with this new demeanor that he allowed a response to smooth from him, monotonous and cold, completely lacking in the boyish energy that had colored his first question. "Konzesh." The answer was short, nowhere near the detail that the man across from him had gone into, with his introduction. It was clipped, for he was already tired of the tone this conversation had turned to. And he hoped, with the answering of his own question, they could move to the one he had desired.

Some tension had left his body, in anticipation of this.

Luster likes this.
  5. Graham Siccaro

Graham Siccaro Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

OCC Account:
    Luster
    Character Profile:
    Link

When Konzesh looked away Graham blinked involuntarily in surprise. He had done what no mere soldier would dare to do, stared down a Sith and survived. For the moment anyway.But then something in the young Zabrack changed, he became stiffer and his face became hard. Not only that and it might have only been his imagination, but the air around them had gotten just a little colder and still. And the single word response, delivered with strength and surety, hit him like a wave. Maybe it was the force, and maybe it was just the weight of the power of the Sith behind the word. But it made his heart speed up, pounding hard against his chest in a strange mixture of elation and fear. He did his best to quell the spike in his emotions, lest the rumors be true and the boy sense them.

A small hint of a smile appeared for the briefest moment on the older man's face. He adapts quickly. Probably why they chose him and let him roam around at will. He just might make something of himself.

"Well Sith Konzesh, it is a pleasure." He said, again in the same neutral formality. The he leaned back in his chair and let a little warmth creep into his voice as he continued. "To answer your question, I was making notes on how to improve the base's defenses. I am no strategic genius, and I do understand that logistics may not be what we would like, but four manned blaster cannons and a few droid turrets seems a little weak to me. There are no anti-air or anti-orbital defenses. Sure the droids, soldiers and of course the Sith here are more than capable of holding out against a ground attack. But what good is that against an orbital bombardment?" He finished with a slightly larger smile to let the boy know it was partly in jest.

6. Konzesh

Konzesh Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

Sith Knight
    OCC Account:
    QwibQwib
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Whatever affect Konzesh had on Graham and the atmosphere around them was purely in the Lieutenant's mind. Without a single lick of intent from the Sith. The was quick to back away from the expression that caused this shift anyway. None the wiser to what he had caused. All he cared about was the man's smile, that smile released him, his expression softened and by the time the Lieutenant began to speak, Konzesh was smiling faintly.

That small, relaxed smile remained as his eyes drifted away from Graham once more, down towards the datapad, staring, as the man's speech washed over him. He envisioned the base's problems as best he could, thought of what would happen if an orbital bombardment did indeed occur. And, with his eyes still occupied on the datapad, he didn't manage to see the older man's jesting smile. His own face was grim, lips turned downwards into a frown and he didn't say anything for a few moments. And his opening, when he did speak wasn't exactly inspired. "No good at all." He murmured, his eyes finally trailed upwards once more. "I'm not exactly a genius myself. But-- It doesn't really take a genius to see that you're probably right. So... Do you plan to show your notes off to somebody? I have a feeling you'll probably be listened to if you did."

7. Graham Siccaro

Graham Siccaro Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

OCC Account:
    Luster
    Character Profile:
    Link

Konzesh seemed to relax as Graham softened and spoke, and the impression he had gotten of stress and stillness seemed to ease away with it. Maybe it was just his imagination, but hearing stories of what the force can do tends to instill a healthy respect for a Sith's power to those that pay attention. But as Graham continued he noticed Konzesh's attention was on his datapad and on his notes. He waited for the young man to share his feelings on the matter before answering.

"Well a lot of it depends on what resources are available to the base, which may not be a lot as the Imperial Military is still slowly growing. Best case scenario if we had everything we need already available is a shield generator, starship grade orbital cannons, ground based interceptor squadrons and a small fleet presence overhead. But that is not likely to happen soon. Best I think we can hope for is the interceptors and maybe the shield, but that may be hoping for too much. I do not know what the supply situation is like across the empire. I am also marking what I think would be ideal positions for ground based cannon, and fire zones. As for letting someone know I intend to drop it off with the base commander before I leave, though I would be surprised if they have not thought of some of this already. But so do appreciate you saying that"

8. Konzesh

Konzesh Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

Sith Knight
    OCC Account:
    QwibQwib
    Character Profile:
    Link
    The boy was silent, throughout Graham's speech. Trying his best to make his interest in this conversation last. But, it truly was going over his head. Not to the point that he didn't understand any of it, but, he definitely couldn't muster up an intelligent reply to that whole thing. And this brought a bit of fright, anxiety about what he would say. For a moment, he became occupied with hoping that the man would never stop talking because then he'd never have to worry about saying something stupid. But, Of course, that wouldn't be the case. But, he found something to latch onto at least, the end of the speech.

"I'm sure the base commander will appreciate your whole assessment as well. Even if they've already thought about it. At the least, it'll show that you're the kind of person able to think about things like this. And that's a pretty useful thing so... That being noticed can only go somewhere good." He responded, with a faint smile. What he'd said was certainly not the heart-stoppingly embarrassing phrase Konzesh had thought would come spilling from his mouth.

9. Graham Siccaro

Graham Siccaro Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

OCC Account:
    Luster
    Character Profile:
    Link

Graham listened intently to Konzesh's reply, hoping for a critique or maybe an small analysis of the body's own. Alas it was not what the young zabrak had responded with. But the recognition of skill, intelligence and intent made Graham's heart swell a little with pride and gratitude. Maybe he was reading too much intonit, but it always felt nice to be noticed. It does feel nice, Graham , so show the same respect to him. Find some common ground.

"That is the hope indeed. And that thats is something both the Sith and the military have in common, the hope that our strength and skill is noticed by those above us." He picked up his fork again and took a bite of his meal, taking the time to think on what to say next. Maybe Konzesh would open up a bit more if he showed interest and asked a few questions of his own. "Did you just come out of the academy?" He asked, taking a shot in the dark.

10. Konzesh

Konzesh Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

Sith Knight
    OCC Account:
    QwibQwib
    Character Profile:
    Link
    The question caused a pause in Konzesh. His eyes lowered in a flutter of blinks, and he nodded a few times. "Technically speaking, yes. I've only been elevated to 'Knight' very recently. And-- Honestly, it feels a bit odd. I never quite expected it to happen. I've been rather used to the same routine, seeing all my instructors as higher than me. I never thought I'd be placed at the same level as them." He murmured before another pause took him. "I suppose there's still the Lords though. They're still above me. But, I've never met one of those people. Not quite sure how much I want to, even."

His hands fell to his knees as he said those final words, fingers drumming against them.

11. Graham Siccaro

Graham Siccaro Character

Sith Empire
    Level 1

OCC Account:
    Luster
    Character Profile:
    Link

Graham was a little taken aback by Konzesh's reaction and response. Not that it had offended him in any way, but he had not been expecting to hear something so... meek to come from a Sith. The soldiers and citizens of the Empire all speak in hushed tones as to the power and wrath of those very force users. This was not exactly meeting that image. But then again, his new acquaintance was still quite young, given rank and power but maybe not a sense of direction. ​

He watched the boy for a moment before deciding to take a small risk and reach out to touch his shoulder. "Hey, you almost make it sound as if you did not deserve that promotion. But if there is anyone in the galaxy that would give you that rank without reason, the Empire is not it. We only rise if we have proven ourselves, which means you must have impressed someone at the academy." He leaned in slightly to get a better look at Konzesh's eyes. "Not to sound condescending but it is part of growing up to question your worth and purpose, I felt much the same way when i graduated from the Naval Academy on Serenno. True you may not have done much you, but you have not been around all that long to do anything. But when you find something that you truly desire, would fight and die for, then you will show the galaxy what you are worth."

It may not have been the best pep talk ever to have been said, but Graham had never been accused of being charismatic, and it had hopefully gotten the point across to the young Zabrak.