Open New Kid on the Block

Discussion in 'Outer Rim Territories' started by Rao Quel Ran, May 12, 2019.

1. Rao Quel Ran

Rao Quel Ran Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Fly Your Flag
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Rao is back on Colla IV, riding inside of a crashing transport for what seems like an eternity. He looks over and can see his youngest brother, Romin, holding on for dear life. He does what he wish he could have done before and grabs his hand.

“It’s going to be alright!” He yells over the sound of wind buffeting his ears. For a moment, he felt okay. Like a good brother.

The recruit next to him shook Rao awake. He had fallen asleep on the trip to the Endor’s GA training base. Rao argued that he didn’t need training but his recruiter said it was mandatory. He wasn’t angry just didn’t see it as necessary for his role as a rebel agent. In the end, he figured that it wasn’t a bad idea, he was unfamiliar with the Alliance’s internal workings and he could make sure his skills as a soldier weren’t atrophying. ‘It might even be nice to spend some time not in a war zone.’ he mused optimistically.

It was not a nice time.

Weeks on end of being woken up hours before the sun even threatened to rise, going on full gear runs, coming back and sparring till mid-day, then studying until nightfall. The good news is that every night was the best sleep he’d had since Colla IV. Now that he was in the final week of Basic Training they were giving him his first day off. Rao was ecstatic. While he had made functional friends in his class of cadets, he could tell that they didn’t want much to do with him, so he was intent on spending as much time on-base today talking to people. Strange as it may seem, he was very social for a Mandalorian. He wasn’t allotted the time to speak to anyone outside of his class for the entirety of his time on Endor.

As of 0900 today, Rao’s mission is to make connections and contacts within the Galactic Alliance on Endor’s military base.

2. Vardon Galland

Vardon Galland Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Pyrenees
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Finding a suitable location to set down the Solange was a fools game on Endor, at least if the end goal was to land with an intact ship rather than crash through the woods with debris of various sizes. Instead, Vardon descended in his light freighter, the Leger while his crew remained aboard the Solange, still in orbit of the moon. The only exception was Joe Bethersonton who would just accompany him down to the moon and then return the ship to the Solange once the Thyferran had left. Galland had spent many a day on various places around the galaxy, encountering widely different troubles - it was finally time to rest and recuperate, at least for a couple of days.

Getting clearance to land didn't take long since the crew had already begun making the preparations during their rather long journey through hyperspace. Disembarking from his ship, the padawan, clad in white garbs with both his lightsaber and vibroknives attached to his belt, looked up at the enormous trees whilst listening in to the wildlife which could be heard. It was certainly humbling to compare oneself to the flora of the planet, but then, other planets provided the same humbling experience, all in their own unique way. Feeling the relatively soft earthy ground beneath his boots, Vardon made his way towards the rebel base. The metallic construction stood in stark contrast to it's surrounding environments but given the necessity of it all, it didn't bother the young man too much.

With the light clank of his boots against the floor, the padawan ventured deeper into the base, passing by a few training rooms and lecture halls until he finally made it to the canteen. It seemed as they were way past the early morning breakfast rush which meant that the room was quite sparsely populated, but the fact that it functioned as a connection between two corridors ensured that it would still have a fair amount of people flowing through the area.

"Even a padawan needs something to start his day smoothly" he said lightheartedly to a staffer after ordering a coffee.

@Fly Your Flag

3. Rao Quel Ran

Rao Quel Ran Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Fly Your Flag
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Rao’s morning was tiresome to say the least. Sleeping in had been more work than necessary and as a result, it was a groggy start to the morning. The cadet walked in, uniform up to snuff on the smallest of details and saluted his commanding officer, who was on the way out of the canteena. Rao, like every other cadet in the room, immediately unbuttoned the top button constricting his neck and rolled up his sleeves. This seemed like common practice, not of disrespect but of personal freedom. Everyone had been dressed identically moments before, and now everyone had some sort of identifying marks on them. Some wrapped their jacket around their waste, some had tattoos, some had scars, all were immediately distinguishable.

Rao let his long hair down from his regulation bun and sat down next to Vardon.

“Mornin’, can I get the, uh…” He couldn’t finish his sentence. Rao’s eyes had drifted over to the Jedi he sat next to.

“Can I get the ramen special?” The Mandalorian finished, while turning to Vardon. Judging by the robes and the lightsaber on his belt, this was one of the fabled Jedi. Rao was overcome with mixed feelings. The force was a touchy subject for Rao. While he didn’t have the innate hatred common among Mandalorians, his last encounter with a force user had left a bad taste in his mouth. But that didn’t change the fact that Jedi were Jedi and Sith were Sith. He was in an alliance with the Jedi, bound by a vow made on the battlefield.

He may as well make friends while he had the opportunity. “Apologies for staring, your type are uncommon where I’m from.” He said cheerfully, while extending a hand. From Vardon’s perspective he could see that Rao’s index finger was tattoo’d with some sort of symbol.

@Pyrenees

4. Vardon Galland

Vardon Galland Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Pyrenees
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Seeing the cadets relax as their commanding officer left made a soft smile grow on Vardon's lips. It was always good to see when the troops kept their own personalities intact whilst still respecting the chain of command. In his experience, this allowed for independent thinking and often meant that they'd still care for what was humane and right. Looking at the the cadet who were about to take the seat next to him the padawan noted how he relaxed and made use of his personal freedom too.

The young man seemed to be somewhat distracted by Galland's presence. While jedi and padawans weren't very common, it seemed as if the reaction he received was more notable than usually. At least when among his fellow rebels - being of a rather rare breed, most outsiders would probably have found the padawan's presence much more distracting than Rao did. He looked back at the cadet who's eyes lingered on the lightsaber attached to his belt for a few moments. By the looks of his new neighbour, Vardon could only assume that they were being drilled hard.

"That's fine" he responded with an appreciative nod, pleasant for sure, but not quite matching Rao's cheerfulness. "Vardon Galland" he said with a certain degree of pride in his voice as he shook the cadet's hand. The padawan couldn't help but to feel rather curious about his neighbour's comment and took the chance to ask as soon as the other had the chance to introduce himself "Aren't my kind uncommon everywhere?" he asked curiously. The idea of the man being a Mandalorian never crossing his mind.

OOC: Just a small note, I don't imagine Vardon wearing robes. His garbs are more plain. Shouldn't affect anything in our posts though.

@Fly Your Flag

5. Rao Quel Ran

Rao Quel Ran Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Fly Your Flag
    Character Profile:
    Link
    “Rao Quel-Ran. Your kind are are rare in both presence and idea. My planet was so backwaters that I didn’t even know the Empire, Sith or Jedi existed until a little under a year ago.” he said while noting the prideful inflection. He was lying through his teeth about that last part. Rao didn’t like it, but didn’t imagine he would make many friends talking about how many Jedi skulls his ancestors collected during the Hundred Year Darkness. No matter, for now he’d keep that particular cat in the bag.

‘Vardon Galland. Very gallant. He carries himself like an aristocrat, has a certain degree of pride in his namesake. I wonder what put him on the fast track to the rebellion?’ Rao contemplated a few thoughts until his food was brought to him, then his hunger drive took over.

“Either way, where ya from Mr. Galland? I imagine Jedi aren’t born, but found. Where would someone find you?” He inquired before picking up a disposable fork and digging in.

[Understandable and noted, it’s just how my mental image of him formed.]

6. Vardon Galland

Vardon Galland Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Pyrenees
    Character Profile:
    Link
    There was no hiding that the padawan was surprised by what Rao said. The Jedi and the Alliance being unknowns didn't surprise him much, after all, they had only recently revealed themselves to the galaxy. Not knowing about the Empire or the Sith, however, that was something new to him. "Your.. people didn't know about the Empire?" he asked, not fully believing what he heard. "But they've been the de facto power in the galaxy for the last centuries" he added in an attempt to explain his confusion. The young man had no intentions of turning the chat into an interrogation, and was merely curious about the other's background.

The Thyferran looked up at the machine arriving with their orders, serving a dish to the cadet and a coffee to Vardon. These kinds of serving droids didn't tend to care much for when their guests didn't show any appreciation - they were droids after all. Galland, however, gave the machine a grateful nod and thanked it as he grabbed his cup. It was certainly noticeable how the young man next to him was eager to eat as he seemed to quickly start consuming his food.

"Mr. Galland? You make me feel like my grandfather: Old!" he exclaimed jokingly at his neighbour's comment. "I'm from Thyferra, it's by the inner rim." the statement was short, almost as if cut short by Vardon taking a sip from his cup.

Looking out over the hall, the population seemed to consist of people passing by and a few cadets having a late breakfast. "What about you then? I can imagine how someone who isn't force sensitive might have a wider array of options?" he asked while looking at the man next to him, letting his eyes linger at Rao's right index finger for a while.

@Fly Your Flag

7. Rao Quel Ran

Rao Quel Ran Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Fly Your Flag
    Character Profile:
    Link
    “Not my planet, my family.” He says before shoveling ramen into his mouth. He took a moment to chew and quickly thought of something to say.

“We were insular, to say the least. Low tech farmers in the fringes of the Outer Rim. My dad paid his dues to the state, didn’t quite care who was running the show. He was a good man.” Rao was slightly sullen for a moment. That last part wasn’t a lie. He was grateful for the day off, but it was the first time he had a moment to really decompress in the last several weeks. It was an odd time. He cracked a smile at Vardon’s joke and cleaned at his face with a napkin. ‘Thyferra. Sounds like a nice place.’ Rao took a mental note of how quickly Vardon left that subject and moved on, listening to his last inquiry.

Rao thought for a few seconds, but they felt like minutes. “Well sometimes life puts you on a path. And no matter how hard it is, or how much you want to go back, you gotta go down it. Tell me Vardon, do you believe in destiny?”

@Pyrenees

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  8. Vardon Galland

Vardon Galland Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Pyrenees
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Vardon looked at his tablemate for a couple of seconds. He had said that it was a backwaters planet just a few moments ago and now it was just his family? Regardless, the padawan wasn't a very suspicious person and simply dismissed it as the cadet not finding the right words earlier. He listened on the young man next to him talk about where he grew up and felt how he really put some heart into the last part. "I'm sure he was" he added when the man went silent for a moment. "Yeah, it sure is. A temperate and rather tranquil planet. A great place to grow up" he noted when Rao commented on his planet of origin.

The cadet seemed to venture into some deeper thoughts after he was asked of why he joined up with the alliance. Vardon was quite familiar with just following the path which he was lead to as he often simply let go of the idea of having too much control and allowed the force to guide him. He nodded along sympathetically, thinking back of a few rather horrendous experiences he had endured during the past few months. And then came the question - destiny. The Thyferran hadn't thought about the matter much and let out a low "Uhh" as he considered his stance on it. "Well, I trust in the light, and in the force. And when I do, I haven't been lead onto paths of evil. But I'm not sure if that can be equated to destiny. What about it?" His voice was far from confident as he fumbled about, trying to answer the question to the best of his ability.

Soon, the word 'sparring' or variants of it could be heard spreading through the hall and a few people at a time started leaving the room to head for another. The padawan watched them with interest as he took another sip of his coffee. Training with a trained rebel cadet certainly piqued his interests as he was sure that he had much to learn, and perhaps even a trick or two to share. Still, plenty of others where still in the room and the flow towards what he assumed was a popular sparring location was slow. He had plenty of time to finish the conversation with his neighbour before heading there, perhaps even together with Rao.

@Fly Your Flag

9. Rao Quel Ran

Rao Quel Ran Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Fly Your Flag
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Mentally, Rao kicked himself for the lapses in his story. He figured he was still just rattled from training. While it may have been an excuse for his bad lying, it was also true that he was mildly sleep deprived. It wasn’t anything he hadn’t been through before, but it hit him hard this time. He was fairing better than his peers, whom could be seen with severe bags under their eyes and a significantly more pale complexion than what they arrived with, but not a single cadet was there that didn’t want to be. The same goes for Rao, whom was slowly beginning to feel more at home in the Galactic Alliance.

He listened intently to Vardon’s explanation and noticed that he had somewhat blindsided the man next to him. The topic of destiny had been on his mind for a while. Not just since joining the Rebellion, but for the past year or so. He’d been questioning his own stance on it for a considerable amount of time, and only recently did he find an answer that he had confidence in.

“I honestly think that this is my destiny. I don’t know if it’s the force, or a higher power. But this feels, for the first time in my life, it feels right. And I don’t know why, so I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing until it doesn’t feel right anymore.” Rao rambled on for a moment and realized he was possibly oversharing. He also noticed the murmurs of CQC sparring floating through the cantina. The crowd was thinning as people got up and left, supposedly to watch the sparring sessions or even participate. “So ya wanna see our elite fighting forces in their natural habitat?” He offered with a sly grin.

@Pyrenees

10. Vardon Galland

Vardon Galland Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Pyrenees
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Destiny - the word rolled around in his mind for a while as he waited for the cadet to answer. Rao started reasoning about the concept. It did sound a lot like the force in Vardon's ears - he too tended to follow instinct, or what felt right. It was good to hear that his neighbour was of the same mind. He hadn't spent much time with the guy, but the padawan had a feeling that his moral compass was good and was glad to hear that it would be followed.

The Thyferran flashed an understanding smile at the cadet "For the first time, eh?" he asked sympathetically before continuing "Well, I'm glad you like it here. Who knows, if I hadn't turned out to have the force, me might even have been cadets together. But I agree with what you say: Going after what feels right is bound to serve the light." Vardon knew that anyone having a good head on their shoulders and a philosophy such as Rao's was someone which he'd like to have on his team.

A wry smile slowly grew on the padawan's lips as Rao asked if he wanted to see the sparring. The time needed for consideration was minimal as his mind was already made up in advance. "Definitely!" he said enthusiastically before raising his cup, finishing his cup of coffee in one fell sweep. He looked forward to seeing what the troopers was taught at the facility and the thought of participating himself manifested itself too. With that, he looked to the cadet and said "Lead the way", fully content with the time spent in the large hall.

@Fly Your Flag

11. Rao Quel Ran

Rao Quel Ran Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Fly Your Flag
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Pulling a credit chip from his pocket, the cadet let his grin grow to a full smile filled with passion that was only a little terrifying. He laid the chip down next to his half finished bowl of ramen and nodded to the service droid. The young man picked that up already from his new friend during their interaction.

“You’ll either be disappointed or disgusted with the way these men fight.” He said as he got up and started walking to the hallway connected to the cantina. As they rounded the corner and made their way to one of the training halls, the stream of people walking to and fro grew more and more, as it was a passtime to watch the cadets do combat drills.

Finally they made it to the entrance, of a large gymnasium type room with at least a dozen mats and a pair of cadets working on each of them. There was a set of bleachers near the wall for observation, which was densely populated with rebels who wanted nothing more than to watch two cadets beat each other senseless. In the corner was a first-aid station where multiple cadets were being treated by a medical droid.

As Rao led Vardon to a spot where they could watch the fights comfortably they could both hear the bets being placed, which would most definitely get their entire unit PT’d into oblivion as punishment. It’s a good thing their CO was nowhere to be seen.

The fights were dirt simple and brutal, a good mix of both striking and grappling. Cadets were taught a martial art that was designed to be as easy to learn and execute as possible. The product was something that was quite entertaining to watch, as the skill levels varied from true novice to master of the art. Rao sat down and took pleasure in watching his peers beat each other into submission. This was entirely a recreational activity for these men, either wanting to get better or just wanting to spend some time doing what they loved. This wasn’t for a war, this was for a sport and Rao valued that.

@Pyrenees

12. Vardon Galland

Vardon Galland Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Pyrenees
    Character Profile:
    Link
    The padawan smirked at Rao's comment and clapped him at the back "At this point, few things will truly disgust me" he stated with just a hint of sadness in his voice. He looked to the cadet curiously "As for disappointed? I guess we'll see" he continued, not really believing that he'd be disappointed by his fellow rebels, especially after they'd been described as the Alliance's elite by Rao just a few moments ago.

After having walked for a while, the two rebels soon arrived at the large gymnasium. The sparring of which he had heard was already at full swing with numerous matches going on at once. Many of them seemed to be accomplished fighters although there were some who were less proficient in the brawling, but the atmosphere in the room still seemed to be rather cheerful. Sure, a few people got bitter about loosing, but it all seemed to be rather friendly in nature. Vardon found it hard to tear his eyes away from the fights as Rao lead him to a seat.

Both of them sat down, watching the brutal battles for a good while. While the padawan had been trained in how to wield the saber and liked incorporating a few kicks and punches, these cadets seemed to be able to fight with much more sophistication - or whatever it might be called now that it did look rather simple. After trying to learn how they moved and how the fighters went in for the attack, Galland finally decided that he wanted to give it a go too. Looking to his mate, he spoke "Want to show me a few moves? I think those two are about to finish" he said, stretching out his arm to point at a couple of cadets sparring on a mattress by a corner at the other end of the large room.

It didn't take long before the larger cadet at the mattress fell down with a loud thus as his body hit the floor. "There we go" he said lightheartedly, prepared to go to the available mat with Rao, should he agree to go.

@Fly Your Flag

13. Rao Quel Ran

Rao Quel Ran Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Fly Your Flag
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Mandalore’s warrior culture had made cemented Rao’s martial superiority over his fellow cadets in the time he’d been there. He took pride in being able to pick up the fighting style, assimilate it into his own and then understand it enough to teach his students, so much that their instructor had made him the de facto student to ask for advice in their unit. It was a technique to instill an comradery and leadership in the ranks, as it forces interaction.

“I’d be happy to, just promise me you won’t slice me in half halfway through.” The young man says as he takes a spot on the mat.

He goes a good bit into depth for a handful of techniques. He covered striking and grappling separately then went into depth on how the two could be used in tandem. Double leg and single leg takedowns, followed by a full mount and strikes, both with a closed and open hands. He taught him how to guard, how to escape a mount position. Rao moved on to standing combat and taught some basic strikes and holds. The end goal was to teach Vardon the basics of killing a person with his bare hands.

All of this could have easily gone over someone's head, but with Rao’s experience and personal aptitude it was significantly easier than it could have been. Nearing the end of his lesson, an easy thirty minutes had passed and Rao had built up a sweat.

“Now if you’re up to it, I’d like to go for a real match. See if the Jedi are all their cracked up to be.” He said with a tone so cocky that it was hard not to punch him right then and there.

@Pyrenees

14. Vardon Galland

Vardon Galland Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Pyrenees
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Slice him in half? The comment did surprise the padawan, who didn't manage to hide the confused look on his face fast enough. "Uh, sure thing. I promise that I won't cut you in half." he said, reflecting on what the cadet had just requested. He thought that most people had a very different view of the Jedi than a group who had the tendency to cut people in half whilst sparring. The Thyferran chuckled, as the idea of the comment being a joke struck him. That would make more sense.

Rao proved to be a competent instructor, explaining and showing a wide range of different techniques and moves. He even went into some depth and managed to make himself understood well. Whether the padawan would be able to utilize the techniques in a fight, however, was another matter entirely. But, with a bit of sparring, he hoped to be able to become a little more familiar with what he had been taught.

Using the force, Galland detached the lightsaber and his two vibroknives from his belt and slowly moved them a couple of meters away from the mattress on which they stood. He had been challenged in a rather cocky manner to say the least, and despite not wanting to let himself be provoked, the Thyferran's use of the force was far from necessary in their current situation. A smile had grown on his lips by the time the weapons were set down on the ground "I will oblige" he said rather simply. Before assuming a more humble tone "I want to get better at unarmed fighting, so I suggest that we refrain from using any weapons and that I refrain from actively using the force. Is that acceptable to you?"

When the two had agreed to the terms, Vardon would try to stay light on his feet whilst raising his arms to the height of his stomach in preparation for an assault by Rao. He had no intentions of being rushing forth towards his opponent and would much rather remain in a defensive position, at least initially.

@Fly Your Flag

15. Rao Quel Ran

Rao Quel Ran Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Fly Your Flag
    Character Profile:
    Link
    “Agreed. If someone goes limp or taps out, that’s a win. Fair?” Rao said as he took off his jacket and folded it into a neat square. As he set his weapons down he mused to himself about the implications of this match. It seemed to be that no matter what, it was less of a test of skill, and more of the Jedi’s ability to learn on the fly and Rao’s ability to teach. If he were to lose to Vardon, he would be proud of his impromptu student. Then again, he wondered if someone could just turn their use of the Force off at will, or was it more like a continuous connection to the world that was a part of a person, ever present.

He supposed that it didn’t matter, competition is competition. A match is a match. This was one of the few things that Rao could partake in that made him feel like a Mandalorian. It was a real one on one match that wasn’t against malnourished rebel cadets who never learned to throw a punch. And for that he was grateful to Vardon.

He took his stance, a grapplers stance with his center of gravity very low and his hands primed to grip and pull whatever they could. A few of Rao’s fellow cadets took notice of the match and sat down to watch. A Jedi and a rebel having a hand to hand sparring match was definitely uncommon to say the least. They started whispering among themselves about who would win, and it was a unanimous decision that Vardon was going to come out with the win, although some were adamant that Rao would definitely make the Jedi work for it.

The two circled for a moment, like most fights start. As Rao realized that his opponent would not make the first move he went in for a double leg takedown. He threw his right shoulder into Vardon’s gut and went to hook the legs.

@Pyrenees

16. Vardon Galland

Vardon Galland Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Pyrenees
    Character Profile:
    Link
    After giving his, soon to be, opponent a nod, Vardon spoke "Fair" simply confirming what Rao just recently asked. He couldn't help but to take note of how orderly the cadet seemed to be, folding his jacket, presumably in accordance with the regiment standard. "Let us begin, then" he said, just as the other seamed ready to go.

The two fighters circled around on the mat for both one and two moments before the cadet went on the offence in a quick and sudden move. Vardon, however, had no intentions on allowing Rao to get too close and put his arms on the opponent's head as he knelt down in order to grab hold of the padawan. With that, Vardon pushed against Rao's head to give himself better momentum to take a quick step back from the cadet. If given the chance, he would step back with the other leg too.

Seeing as he had now gotten much closer to the edge of the mat, Galland took a quick and sharp step to the side and then approached Rao, hoping to wrap his left arm around the opponent's head while positioning himself behind the man. Unless interrupted, Vardon hoped that this would be enough to put Rao in quite the tricky position.

It was obvious to Vardon how little he knew about the kind of fighting which his mate seemed to excel in but he felt like there was much to be learned and appreciated the patience that Rao had shown so far. At this time, he mostly relied on his instinct and experience from the real battles he had been in so far - but then, in those battles he had made use of the force and his saber. What he learned from the cadet would doubtlessly come to use in the future

OOC: I'm sorry about the slow response.

@Fly Your Flag

17. Rao Quel Ran

Rao Quel Ran Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Fly Your Flag
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Vardon’s superior height and therefore greater wingspan was effective at keeping his opponent in a disadvantageous position.Rao stumbled against Vardon’s hands holding him at a distance, ending with his back against his opponent. As the taller man went to wrap his arm around Rao, he would find a strong grip on his wrist. Rao would contest his attempt to grapple by throwing an elbow into the abdomen behind him and using the ensuing shock to slide out of the hold and position himself to the side of the much larger man.

This reminded Rao of fighting with his brothers on Mandalore. It was more intense than your average sibling aggression, as they had a respect for one on one fighting ingrained in them from a young age. As the middle child Rao had the privilege of fighting bothan older and younger brother. When he had to beat back the wide strikes of his bigger brother he learned that a smaller fighter had to try and nullify their opponents strengths, which were usually reach and strength. When he became the big brother Rao learned how easy it was to use your strengths as a crutch. Specifically, he learned that the time his smaller brother made him submit. He wouldn’t be allowed to forget that for years.

Now, Rao was in a similar position. It was obvious that Vardon wasn’t green when it came to combat in general, but Rao seemed to have a technical edge when it came to this style of fighting. Experience in fighting was worth its weight in gold however, as was physical height and strength.

From his position at Vardon’s side, Rao threw a low kick at the back of his opponent’s knee.

@Pyrenees

OOC: You’re good, I saw your self post a couple days ago.

18. Vardon Galland

Vardon Galland Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Pyrenees
    Character Profile:
    Link
    As his arm managed to find its way around his opponent, the padawan felt rather confident as his position seemed to be superior. The sudden pain in his abdominal area was quite unexpected as he grimaced and made a heavy exhale. Rao clearly seemed to know what he was doing as his heavy grip on Vardon's wrist allowed him to get away from the hold, quickly making his way to the padawan's side.

Although his very limited experience in this kind of combat prevented him from knowing exactly what to avoid or how to attack, Galland's numerous battles had taught him that this was the time when an opponent would be looking to counter attack. Defying the pain which was still clearly present by his stomach, the Thyferran threw himself at the cadet who had just arrived at his side, hoping to tackle the man to the ground before he got the chance to act.

If the man managed to keep his balance, Vardon would keep pushing with his head on one side of the man and his right arm on the other, in hopes that Rao would end up outside of the mat. If Rao didn't manage to keep his balance and fell to the ground along with the padawan himself, he would try to raise his upper body and assume a kneeling position above his opponent with one leg on each side and his own center of mass placed above the cadets hips. Neither of the offensives would've been at Vardon's full capacity, however, as he was still hurting from getting hit by the other's elbow.

@Fly Your Flag

19. Rao Quel Ran

Rao Quel Ran Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 1

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Fly Your Flag
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Vardon’s offensive puts his opponent on his back, his head hitting the mat with a sickening thud. Rao’s world shakes and swerves around as if the planet had been thrown off its axis. For a moment he’s stunned and doesn’t know what’s happening. As Vardon capitalizes on the downed man by taking him in a full mount position. Assuming the Thyfferan were to start throwing blows at him, Rao would take a few hits, before getting his block cemented in. He would try and take as little to the head as possible. Otherwise, the Mandalorian would fall back to his original plan of out grappling the behemoth of a man on top of him.

He would pull Vardon’s right arm in to the left as to get him close enough to wrap his arm around his neck, which would give him enough room to snake one of his legs out from underneath Vardon and make the offensive a half mount

@Pyrenees

20. Vardon Galland

Vardon Galland Character

Galactic Alliance
    Level 2

Rebel
    OCC Account:
    Pyrenees
    Character Profile:
    Link
    Making the most out of his temporary advantage, the padawan started throwing blows against his opponent's head, hoping that the man would surrender. The nativity of his hope didn't strike him until he had already thrown a couple of punches - he was facing a well trained and experienced opponent who probably knew how to handle a situation such as the one he was in right now. Regardless, any reasonable chance at weakening his opponent needed to be taken and Rao seemed inclined to block the punches which prompted the padawan to try to drag his base further up along the opponent. Without being interrupted, this would put the other rebel in an even trickier position than when Galland sat at his opponent's waist.

However, as he got a bit further up, the cadet managed to catch his right arm and pulled it to the left. Before Vardon had a chance to react, he had already been pulled down 35 degrees from sitting almost upright and went down another 10 degrees as he struggled against the much more experienced opponent. Something which did seem to be to the padawan's advantage was that he sat so high up on his foe that he needed to be pulled at a rather awkward angle - still, Rao was well trained and strong enough to prove quite the challenge. In order to distract the cadet, Vardon started throwing punches with his left hand against the other's side.

The maneuver with the legs wouldn't affect the Thyferran much at all as his own body was too far up for the legs to reach. While flailing would be annoying, Galland's knees were firmly planted at each side of Rao's body beneath the armpits.

@Fly Your Flag