Important Species Info

Discussion in 'Announcements Archive' started by Brandon Rhea, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Staff Consultant

The Star Wars RP
    The Fifth Timeline: Species

In order to avoid any problems people might run into with this when we start the timeline on Tuesday, since we were late in the game with deciding about the five character limit too, I wanted to give you a quick update about some species that won't be allowed. This is by no means a complete list, and it also includes an important non-sentient one, but it's a start.

The following species will not be allowed:

• Ysalamir
    • Yuuzhan Vong (temporarily, see explanation below)
    • Taung
    • Shi'ido
    • Gen'Dai
    Those are really the big ones for now. Shi'ido can be pretty overpowered, but other shapeshifters are fine within reason. The Taung are obvious because they went extinct thousands of years ago. Ysalamir won't be allowed due to the risk for abuse with them, and we don't think it's right to be able to use a species that basically negates the natural advantages of a Force user over a non-Force user -- though there will be rules for the use of Force powers to prevent a Force user from just pummeling you in one post. Gen'Dai are just absurdly over powered.

As for the Vong, they're temporarily not allowed, but will be allowed in the coming weeks after the timeline begins. We don't feel like we should completely bar them, but there are some issues with them that will need to be rectified and that will take a bit of extra time. So, we made it a priority to figure out the important parts of the timeline rather than the Vong, and we'll sort that out once the timeline is up and running.

More species will very likely be added to that list, but those are important ones I wanted to make sure people were aware of before Tuesday.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to let us know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011
  2. Phil

Phil The Black Sheep of SWRP

Just a suggestion, but an IC reason for why Ysalimari can't be used would also be nice. Like maybe they went extinct from some genocide in the past 1,000 years.

3. Boli

Boli I swear I had something for this.

Because keeping one alive in captivity is next to impossible and only done a handful of times in all of canon isn't a decent enough reason?

4. Brandon Rhea

Fiery asteroid death or mass orbital bombardment extinction are the likely scenarios.

5. Phil

No, because there's going to prolly be that one person who will do exactly what you just said.

Or maybe someone got tired of the lizards, raided Myrk with a legion and cleaned house.

Or a mass orbital bombardment could work.

I'm just saying so because saying "You can't use this because it causes problems" when it's still possible to do so seems unethic.

6. Boli

By that logic no non-extinct of the species should be unusuable and we'd have a bunch of Gen'dai running around.

7. Brandon Rhea

No it's not unethical, but they were always going to be wiped out anyway. This isn't a thread about the timeline history, just the species that can't be used and why we chose not to allow their use.

8. Cailst

Cailst Some Guy

Wasn't the Ysalamir only effective over a couple foot radius? I can't really see how that would hinder the force users that much.

Plus, no one seemed to abuse it last timeline. There were only a few instances where it was even used. And last time, it was allowed the whole time.

Perhaps if it does get abused, I could see it getting banned but in my opinion, it seems a bit of a premature banning.

9. Phil

I'm just throwing a suggestion for a IC reason why they can't be used, but I'll leave it at that as you have asked and won't bring it up here again.

10. Markus Cale

Markus Cale New Member

You should put Gurlanin up there. A Polymorphic Wolf-like race that can shut off their ability to be seen in the Force seems a tad bit overpowered.

11. Dmitri

Dmitri Admin Emeritus

The latter part can be achieved through a Force ability by any Force user with the talent to do so.

12. Boli

Agreed actually...I'd forgotten about them. They can't even be detected by sensors equipment if I remember correctly - literally completely indetectable.

13. Markus Cale

Markus Cale New Member

Yes, thats a Force Power that must be learned.
    Gurlanin get it naturally.

14. Phil

Before you start blacklisting species, ask yourself when did anyone have to deal with them more then once in the last few years?

15. Boli

I refer you to the case of Ged the Mandalorian Gen'dai, literally the most overpowered character I've ever come across. I don't recall there ever being another Gen'dai, but that doesn't mean they're not a disallowed species.

16. Ender

Ender The Role Play Houdini

So are all shapeshifters gone?

17. Horizon

Horizon Grant us Eyes

I think we should all let it be. The list is fine as it is.

18. Malon

Malon Site Co-Owner and Manager Site Owner

Re-read the first post again and then come back. You should have your answer.

19. Brandon Rhea

It says in my explanation that other shapeshifters are allowed.

20. DeathToll

DeathToll Typical Amateur

Any chance I can get a quick 'ok' on the Korunnai and the Keshiri? I ask about the Korunnai because the GE fleet bombarded their home planet somewhere around 19BBY but at least three survived according to the wiki, and the Keshiri because of their limited historically recorded ability to leave their planet.

If too much of a stretch for either, maybe a mix?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.