A Fledgling joins the flock

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members!' started by Caught in Strangereal, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Caught in Strangereal

Caught in Strangereal Creatively Addicted

So hi. This is my first time ever on a RP forum and right now it's still feels a bit overwhelming to process everything. While I'm new here I've been playing TTRPGs and roleplaying for a few years now and just love the experience and I hope to be able to branch out beyond my current group. Most of my experience though has been with fantasy or modern settings so there may be a bit of learning curve, but my favorite aspect of role playing is being able to experiment and try new things with characters and settings so it shouldn't be too bad.

I've already got a character idea fleshed out I just need to type it out and work some things out before I can start.

I'm probably going to need to help working with BB code because I've never used anything like it before and I'm going to apologize in advance if my writing isn't great to begin with as this probably going to be my first serious foray with creative writing.

My main question I have; however, is how actual play works?

I understand using dice to determine the outcome in dice threads but how much freedom do I have with declaring actions in a self dmed or dmed thread? If I declare that my character tries to climb a fence for example does he just do it and I describe him climbing over the fence and running down the alley way? What if a npc gives chase? do we decide on a outcome or comment in a OOC thread over what the outcome likely is just stuff like that seems very grey. Maybe there's a lovely rules thread describing exactly what I'm talking about and I'm failing my perception roll to find it.

If can help me and deal with my inherent noobness it would be much appreciated. Also before I stop I would like thank @Zanna Black for letting me know about the existence of this forum and slowly convincing me to join with tales of her character's hijinks may I hope to join in on the fun.

Faster Than Light likes this.
  2. Zanna Black

Zanna Black Might have blood in her caffeine stream

3. Caught in Strangereal

Caught in Strangereal Creatively Addicted

thx now to begin the cycle of learning. Just to let everyone know I'm going to be heading to bed for the night. I'll read and reply to everyone tomorrow morning.

4. Ediwa

Ediwa Godspeed

Not even two months ago, me on my first day

I role-played in different communities for ages but so far this is a great, refreshing experience.

5. Raydo

Raydo Lord of Naps Plot Moderator

Hey there, welcome to the Site! If you like tabletop games, I am sure you will enjoy yourself. Writing gives you even more freedom. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions

6. Faster Than Light

Faster Than Light Gentleman Community Admin RP Administrator

Late, but welcome! Looks like you’re already active role playing but if you need anything don’t hesitate to let us know :)