Ask 2562: Part I

Discussion in 'Diverse RPs' started by Herrith, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Herrith

Herrith She's So Unusual

2203 HOURS, JULY 12, 2562 (MILITARY CALENDAR) \
    UNSC PROWLER SAHARA, EPSILON ERIDANI SYSTEM
    REACH LOW ORBIT

@christhebarker @Kori Buor @Billbo Swaggins
    Nicola Sevry eyed the information on her datapad. Two ODSTs and a Spartan. Against a highly trained SECTION-III operative with skills across a broad range. Who also had a prosthetic arm and was trained in SERE protocols extensively. Not impossible odds...though it wasn't exactly going to be a walk in the park. She stood in the dark meeting room, waiting for the group to enter. The tight Navy jumpsuit that she wore was perfectly fine, but for whatever reason she was having a hard time breathing. Maybe it was the lack of sleep. Or it was all in her head. Or was it fear of what they were about to face? She was an intel agent and would mainly be guiding the team from this prowler.

So why did she feel so terrified?

Once they entered, she would speak, her Czech accent showing through the normal neutral tone of anyone who affiliated with ONI.
    "Good evening, gentlemen. I know you've seen the text briefing, but I thought I'd let you in on some more information about our target. I'm Petty Officer Sevry, and I'll be your intelligence officer, a whisper in your ear, so to speak."

Kori Buor likes this.
  2. Kori Buor

Kori Buor Mand'alor

Nathaniel Mills had been sitting on a supply crate inside the UNSC Sahara for the past several minutes, cleaning his weapons while waiting for whoever they were waiting on to arrive. He wasn't wearing his armor at the moment, just the slate grey and blue undersuit he wore between missions, though he could easily get combat ready in just a few short minutes with the aid of an automated armor cradle. Taking a break from his weapons, he ran a large, calloused hand through his buzzed short brown hair, scratching his scalp for a few moments before his grey eyes scanned the pieces before him, pausing as he considered his mission.

This would be the first time the Spartan-IV would operate with a team of non-Spartans to 'acquire' an asset. Though, in this case, he was silently wondering if this would be a true acquisition mission, or if it would simply just devolve into another assassination mission. Still, having receive a very very informal briefing on the mission and the team he would be working with, Nathan had no doubt that the two ODSTs he would be saddled with could hold their own. Both were combat veterans having seen several tours of duty, one of them even working for ONI now.

Receiving the message for them to all congregate in the briefing room, Nathan quickly reassembled his MA5D Assault Rifle, slinging it onto his back before standing and making his way to the designated room. Entering, the Spartan glanced at the female before them, clutching a datapad in her hands as she waited for them to all enter and give her their attention. For Nathan's part, he entered and leaned on the wall at the back. Giving an acknowledging nod to the other two Marines, he looked to the female and waited for her to start. The woman introduced herself as Petty Officer Sevry, and she seemed somewhat nervous, perhaps this was her first mission as an intel officer. If it was he couldn't blame her for the nerves, he just hoped she would be able to deliver when the time came.

"Pleasure," Nathan replied back, giving her an nod, but otherwise remaining quiet and waiting for the other two to say something, or for the Petty Officer to continue with her briefing. Hopefully, she would be able to give him more information than the paltry amount in the text briefing they had all received.

@Herrith @christhebarker @Billbo Swaggins

Billbo Swaggins and Herrith like this.
  3. christhebarker

christhebarker Flow like lightning. Strike like thunder.

It wasn't unusual for ONI to call in assets from Naval Special Warfare Command for highly sensitive missions, they had done it countless times during the war against the covenant and to no surprise for James they still do it but this time it was different they weren't hunting or assassinating any high valued enemy, they were hunting one of their own, an embarrassment for them and one that couldn't go public.

James had mixed opinions ONI, in his eyes, they were a necessary evil without there illegal activities before the covenant war, it would have been a shorter war, to say the least, and talking about illegal ONI activities they were being saddled up with a Spartan, While odsts generally have a distaste for Spartans, it was less so for 4's on the account of more than a few being former hell jumpers, like the one they would be working with.

Receiving the message, he opened light blue eyes and rose from his bunk, half dressed in his BDU from the waist below and white vest covering his chest exposing his marine and odst tattoos on each arm, and his dog tags dangling from his neck. He walked over to the sink, he peered into the mirror, he looked tired but he always looked like that when on the ship, just something about the quietness of a ship, being able to hear everything just didn't sit right with his sleeping. Turning the tap he sighed and splashed his face with water, "time to go work" he spoke to himself before leaving for the meeting.

James entered the dark room, a holographic table lay at the centre on the other end of it lay their intelligence officer, Petty Officer Sevry, he stood opposite her arms folded over one another. he listened to her introduce herself and nodded "before we begin Petty Officer, I would like to confirm with you something, I am the only commised officer on this boat, correct? and this would mean i'm in charge and responsible for the success of the mission?" he put bluntly in his non-sense attitude, he wanted to make it clear to both himself and everyone in the room who was in charge and make sure there wasn't any surprise ONI officer waiting in the wings to tell them how to do their jobs.

@Billbo Swaggins @Herrith @Kori Buor

Herrith likes this.
  4. Algarus

Algarus Lord of the Meh

Collin glanced over his datapad, his brow furrowed slightly in frustration. His name hadn't been listed on the rooster for the group, and he could help but feel that someone at ONI had royally screwed up; or maybe they just liked making his job harder. He was fixing that now. The navy jumpsuit he was wearing didn't fit his body right, but at least it felt better than the armor he was always being crammed into. He froze, waiting at the door, the briefing was underway. Now he was late, wonderful. The door would open as Collin would slip in, catching the end of Mccready's comment. "Incorrect, there are two commissioned officers on this mission now. Sorry, I was put on this assignment at the last minute. Sorry you all were not informed." Hayes said sincerely, he hated when this sort of thing happened. "Lieutenant Collin Hayes, ONI. I'll be assisting you all on this mission." He'd look to the man who had just spoken. He looked similar to the profile of Lt. Mccready, he looks to Petty Officer Sevry. "As to who is in charge of this operation, I'm assuming this is a joint command situation, but we can sort that out here." Collin pondered if his equipment was actually loaded onto the vessel, or had ONI forgotten to do that too? No, they wouldn't be that incompetent, right? Mccready spoke too soon, the ONI officer was just waiting to make his move.

Herrith likes this.
  5. Herrith

Herrith She's So Unusual

Nicola internally sighed. This was a rag tag bunch ONI had slapped together. She hadn't exactly chosen them, but she knew who each of them were. She also understood that one was a noncom, and a Lieutenant at that, so it was unsurprising when he questioned if he was going to be in charge of leading the mission. It was a complex answer to a simple question. Shs decided to focus on other things for a brief moment. The SPARTAN-IV, or now two of them seeing as ONI command had the bright idea of fitting in one more, were here. The second wasn't late exactly, especially since their last had yet to show up. The woman brushed her blonde hair over an ear and inhaled, clicking on the holoprojector.

"Right. We're missing one, but it's best we get started. It's fine that he's late, I'll trust you to fill him in once you're on mission. As for your rank, Lieutenants, there's not an easy answer. To put it shortly, you will not be leading the mission. Ranks will not be included in the operation. I will be acting as your advisor using numerous surveillance devices and ONI resources. There is no chain of command except for me, and I will deliver orders as they come straight from...you know who. Sorry."

The apology probably wouldn't lessen the blow, but it was hard enough to tell two noncoms that they couldn't give orders. Especially when there were two SPARTANs in the room. She took in a breath and plugged in her datapad to the console, watching as the particles of light began forming into a UNSC symbol while the briefing loaded. Suddenly, and to Nicola's surprise, the beams of light made a separate entity, forming a human anatomy with what looked to be an old American cowboy hat. The details appeared, and the AI tipped his hat with a charming smile angled toward the Petty Officer.

"Howdy. Name's Nevada, darlin'. Who's the lucky guy here? Sure hope it's me."

Nicola went to speak in protest, but was interrupted.

"Hold on now, lemme explain. I've been assigned to your little gig here."

"On whose orders?"

"Right up the pipe. Osman. Don't ask, don't tell, y'know how spooks like us are."

He made a shushing motion to the three soldiers in the room and clicked on the presentation, inviting Sevry to start as he sat down, creating the image of tuning a guitar with the projector.
    "Ma'am."

She shook her head, ignoring the urge to toss her files at the AI. They really went over her head again? If this kept up, she would request a field job-

Nevermind. Briefing.

"You read the briefings. We are being tasked with killing or capturing former ONI operative and ODST Sarah Wellington."

An image of the person in question appeared, though without any color except blue. She was attractive by normal standards, but her looks were hardly the reason they had been sent to kill her. She'd murdered multiple ONI officials, mainly scientists, in cold blood. Or that's what SECTION-III was telling her. Nicola had done a few 'vanishing' ops before.

"Wellington is a highly decorated soldier and trained extensively, with focuses on unconventional warfare and SERE protocols. She served in the darker parts of the Human-Covenant war and later went on to fight the Insurrection and a couple remnants of the aliens. She was put on the death list four years ago, and the mission was labeled as complete. Clearly, the rumors of her life are very true. A satellite spotted her on Andesia, a URF planet. She's likely off the grid, or laying low in a city. We suspect her exact location is the capital. As far as we know, she is posing as a restaurant worker, with said restaurant having ties to the URF. There is a high risk of her dealing secrets to the Front for money or safety. I'll upload the rest of the briefing to your datapads. As for now, I'd recommend you go to Hangar 2. There's new gear waiting. Once you're suited up, this Sahara will jump to Slipspace and we'll insert from there."

Nev looked at her. She'd left something out of the briefing, both a wise and possibly bad idea. The reason behind Wellington's betrayal-but that was need to know for the troopers. And right now, the last thing they needed to know was that she was far more than a traitor.

Kori Buor and Algarus like this.
  6. Algarus

Algarus Lord of the Meh

Collin listened intently to the briefing. Wellington, that name didn't sound familiar, then again Hayes mostly dealt with homegrown threats. He scowled and tried to connect the dots. Every time ONI wanted someone killed, there was always more to the story. That wasn't his place to ask though. Collin clenched and unclenched his hands, the augmentation process wasn't as flawless as he would have thought, but then again he had to rush through physical rehab just to meet the mission deadline. He'd work with it as he went. Still, something about this op was off. Why were there two Spartans on this squad? And why was someone so green being put in charge of this op?

His thoughts were only confirmed when the AI and Intel operative exchanged looks. There was some sort of internal debate raging on behind those eyes, but that wasn't any of Collin's business. Hayes filed the thought away for later. He had a mission to do, and if did find out the truth, well....good chance he's be going on the chopping block next.

"Very well then, Petty Officer Sevry."

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018 at 8:57 PM
    Herrith likes this.